Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

T444E cruise control not working

I picked the bus up a couple months ago and the cruise has never worked. I don't get any response from the cruise controls.

Could something be disabled? What should I be looking at?

eyebrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Usually you have to go to an International dealer to have it unlocked. Have you tried using it when in neutral with the bus running? They're commonly used as a high idle to keep the revs up when warming a bus in very cold weather...

Start the bus with the trans in neutral and the parking brake on. Then flip the cruise on/off switch to the on pos(mine seems backwards from what it should be). Then hit the accel button till the engine revs up. It should hold that rpm until you disengage it.

On my bus it works great as a high idle lock but once its in gear the cruise is disabled. Haven't gotten around to going in for a quote to get it unlocked, but I think some people have needed paperwork from International before they will actually unlock it...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Usually you have to go to an International dealer to have it unlocked. Have you tried using it when in neutral with the bus running? They're commonly used as a high idle to keep the revs up when warming a bus in very cold weather... On my bus it works great as a high idle lock but once its in gear the cruise is disabled. Haven't gotten around to going in for a quote to get it unlocked, but I think some people have needed paperwork from International before they will actually unlock it...
Good info, thanks. I will check on the idle control. What paperwork are they looking for?

Is there any software out there that will let you do the unlock? Servicemaxx?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I think the paperwork was some sort of affidavit stating that its not being used to transport people anymore, but like I said I haven't gotten into the particulars of it yet. So far my heavy ass foot seems to work just fine on the highway as my personal cruise...

Also not sure about the software, wait till Chris chimes in as he is the guru of all things electronic/software related around here. He makes us all look like Luddites on a regular basis...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I can't tell you anything about the T444E computer's cruise setup but I would speculate that the bus wouldn't have been delivered with a button on the dash but with the feature turned off in software. Seems like they'd have just put a blank in rather than a non-operational switch.

My Blue Bird with Cummins ISC has a cruise switch on the dash, too. Seems like it quit working once because a wire on the park brake switch had come loose. Anyway, the point is to at least make a cursory inspection of the wiring early in the troubleshooting. Some cruise controls may be enabled only in a specific speed range, so try setting it at various speeds between 35 and 65 MPH.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the busses werent delivered swith a button and the feature turned off... the buttons are there as a High idle setting as well... you flip the left-hand button down (like a light switch off).. then you hold the ACCEL button until you reach the RPM you want and the SET will slow the idle down... this is the primary function of why those buttons are added.. it is Required in cold weather if the bus is to idle longer than 5 mintues that you run it at least 1300 RPM to keep it warm.. esp with the heaters on...

Cruise control is selectable from the computer interface... many schools have it turned off as they dont wanrt bus drivers using it... the high idle feature could also be set automatic based in coolant temperaure.. (I programmed mine this way)..

in that mode the idle speed will adjust itself after the bus is stopped and in neutral with no brake pedal applied for 5 minutes.... it will strive to meet I believe 160 degrees coolant temp

the cruise control will also fail to function for the Key cycle if either of the 2 brake light circuits shows a fault.. there will be a code set (cant remember the code #) but it wont activate the WARN ENGINE light. you can retrieve the flash-codes with the diagnostic button under the dash...

where are you located? if its close to ohio or Florida or anywhere in between (i go back n forth a lot).. I have the programmer and software and could run the commands to turn on the cruise

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the busses werent delivered swith a button and the feature turned off... the buttons are there as a High idle setting as well... you flip the left-hand button down (like a light switch off).. then you hold the ACCEL button until you reach the RPM you want and the SET will slow the idle down... this is the primary function of why those buttons are added.. it is Required in cold weather if the bus is to idle longer than 5 mintues that you run it at least 1300 RPM to keep it warm.. esp with the heaters on...

Cruise control is selectable from the computer interface... many schools have it turned off as they dont wanrt bus drivers using it... the high idle feature could also be set automatic based in coolant temperaure.. (I programmed mine this way)..

in that mode the idle speed will adjust itself after the bus is stopped and in neutral with no brake pedal applied for 5 minutes.... it will strive to meet I believe 160 degrees coolant temp

the cruise control will also fail to function for the Key cycle if either of the 2 brake light circuits shows a fault.. there will be a code set (cant remember the code #) but it wont activate the WARN ENGINE light. you can retrieve the flash-codes with the diagnostic button under the dash...

where are you located? if its close to ohio or Florida or anywhere in between (i go back n forth a lot).. I have the programmer and software and could run the commands to turn on the cruise

-Christopher
Ok, just got a chance to start it up tonight and confirmed the high idle function works. Given this I am assuming that it is turned off in the computer.

How do I use the diagnostic button? Key in accessory, codes display..?

I wish I could take you up on that! I picked the bus up in VA but live in Massachusetts.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #8

Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran, IC chassis
Rated Cap: 72, 37'
Make sure your brake lights are working, my cruise control stopped working due to a bad brake light switch on the pedal assembly. replaced switch and came back to life. was also able to tell if you have hydraulic brakes, my pump wouldn't run when the ignition was off. step on the brakes and no growling noise under the floor.
pegabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
Hi, do you still have programming equipment? I need a few things done to my bus. I'm in ohio. Thanks, Robb
rube2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rube2112 View Post
Hi, do you still have programming equipment? I need a few things done to my bus. I'm in ohio. Thanks, Robb
I sure do! what are you looking to change in the program?
-Christopher
Old 03-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

This bus doesn't shift between gears until you hit 2200 rpm. I want it to shift much much lower than that. And any other mileage enhancements you can think of. Lol. Thanks Robb
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rube2112 View Post
This bus doesn't shift between gears until you hit 2200 rpm. I want it to shift much much lower than that. And any other mileage enhancements you can think of. Lol. Thanks Robb
what year and transmission do you have? and are your 2200 shift points at part throttle or nearly full throttle?

as a rule if you punch it to the floor its going to shift at close to 2500-2600. at part throttle it should be lower, your transmission type determines whether you have truly modulated shifts or not with a 444E.

an allison 643 or 545 with the 444E used an on / off modulator so it only knew if you passed a certain engine load threshold and the ECM would turn on the modulator, raising the shift point high. when the engine load was lower it turned it off which should lower the shift point.. these modulators are a known failure point..

if you have an allison 2000 then it uses a datalink between engine and transmission and has precise throttle and engine load being sent to the transmission resulting in much better shift quality

unless you have a custom setup and Trans computer I cant adjust the shift points, those are hard coded into the TCM on the 2000 series and the modulator is hard code into the ECM on the 545 / 643. sometimes a service shop would install a foot pedal switch for the modulator on the 545 / 643. so it could be controlled when it went into high or low mode.

things I can change with the computer software.. electric fan on,off. speed limiters, auto idle modes, cruise control, read codes, test various engine circuits, change tiure size and speedo settings, EBPV modes, update the software in the ECM,

but I cant change Horsepower ratings or fueling rates, etc..

the 444E likes to drive in that 1800-2000 RPM range for best economy.. running it flat out lowers the MPG and it gets hot in the summer doing that.

-Christopher
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

2002 6 window t444e. It shifts at 2200 driving as easy as possible. I actually don't know yet what transmission I have. I took a picture of what I believe is the shift modulator. I could text it to you if that would help. 937-218-2020, Robb
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Here's the modulator
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180316_142841_9.jpg  
Old 06-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #15

Christopher, are you able to set up a datalink to transfer your diesel knowledge into my brain? Thanks, Jared

Seriously though I'd like to try and get cruise working, and maybe also remove any speed limiters, and apply any efficiency hacks if any exist. I just got my first bus, also my first diesel of any sort. Mostly I've had passenger cars and motorcycles in the past.

It's a 1999 Thomas mid-bus with Navistar 7.3L.
189k miles. I think it said like 9500 hours.
Drove it back from Cleveland to Detroit with gas pedal pegged, 59 mph, 2700 rpms. 85 degrees outside or so. It did fine for maybe 30 miles, then overheated. Coolant spilled from the overflow tank. I freaked out. But got back on the road and the next time it overheated, I backed off to 55 (2600 rpm). Later I had to back off to 50 (2500 rpm). I was able to go faster here and there as the sun got a little lower in the sky.
jdaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #16
Bus Geek

sounds like you need to check your fan clutch and / or radiator for clogging and such.. if it was boiling coolant it isnt likely a stuck thermostat but unless your fan was blazing then im guessing its a weak / bad clutch..

2600-2700 RPM is all these guys will do factory.. I set mine to 3000 max but its only to play with the allison and the beta-test tuner im working with.. setting it to 3000 isnt recommended and you'll run hot and burn lots of fuel. I sure as heck wouldnt run it that way for more than a few seconds so 2600-2700 is it.

your gears are likely the limiting factor assuming the transmission is going into high gear as it should, (am guessing allisom AT545?).. not sure what size tires you have or rear gears but you wont get any more than that 59 unless you alter something physically.. (bigger tires or taller rear gears or an overdrive transmission).
Old 06-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #17

THANK YOU!
I don't have the tranny/gear/tires info handy yet, but your assumptions are probably correct. I think it's very much "stock." Thank you again!
jdaugh is offline   Reply With Quote