Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
T444e Dead temp gauge. Add or replace sensor?

'95 Int with a t444e. the temp gauge does not work. Removed, inspected and test the gauge and will move with 12v applied to it. Is completely dead with engine at operating temp. Thermostat recently failed and the oil/water alarm came on, after changing the thermostat all is well but still no temp gauge. Can the sensor be bad even if it's sending a signal to the computer? Should i replace the sensor or can i add a sensor to the engine and run an after market temp gauge to the dash?

OldSkoolRacin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I would check and replace the sensor first, but an aftermarket gauge and sensor would be fairly easy to hook up as well...

To test take a multi-meter and stick the black probe on the body of the sensor when its cold then take the red probe and stick it in the power wire for sensor... should read around 2000 ohms at like 55 degrees f, if I remember correctly. As the temp rises it should read less and less resistance. More than like 15% deviation from this number means you should replace the sensor. If I am remembering correctly... Its been a while...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I believe the WARN light should come on if the coolant temp sensor is bad.. chances are you have a failed solder joint on the circuit board of your gauge cluster its vdery common..

the 444E temp gauge gets is signal from the computer.. the 5 main gauges(tenp, oil P, speed, RPM, Volts) are run on a data link from the computer.. I believe the warning bell is also just a feed from the computer, id have to look that up in the book.. I do know a shorted or open sensor will issue a code, you can check your codes wit hthe diagnostic button under the dash.

you alarm comes on at coolant temp 230....

you can fix it how you like.. im not the one to ask because I almost always repair bad gauges the way the facotry intended even if it costs more..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Good info...thanks. road trip in two weeks so I may just find a port somewhere on the engine and add a temporary temperature gauge until I can take a close look at the circuit board.

The warning light has not been back on since before I changed the thermostat so I believe it's working properly. Which makes more sense that there is a problem in the board. Thanks again!
OldSkoolRacin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36 adults
I have a 1995 International T444e as well. The Temp gauge works but it is marked at 180 then 210 and the needle usually rides somewhere in-between. I wanted more accuracy. I purchased a ScanGuage-D
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like being able to see accurate, digital numbers for water temp, oil pressure and RPMS. I have it mounted on the "dash" and use it for daily use. The added bonus is I can check for codes as well.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote