Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Skoolie

T444e turbo

For those not following my other thread in the welcome section, I have a blown turbo on my t444e. Can anyone confirm if the turbo is a gtp38r? I'm struggling to find an overhaul kit specifically for the Navistar/International application and was wondering if I could just use the power stroke turbo rebuild kit.

deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
did you take apart the turbo and find in fact the leak is in the turbine side of the turbo?

to verify the part number take your VIN and call an International Dealer and they should be able to get you the part number for the turbo in your bus.. then from there perhaps you can find a rebuild kit for it. or they may even have a rebuild kit..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Skoolie

I haven't had a chance yet, work has been pretty crazy. I hope to take it apart in the next few days but not sure holiday inn will appreciate me doing it in my hotel room.

I hope to get the kit shipped to me here at my hotel (in Savannah,GA) and run up and install it since I am about 9hrs closer than driving from Louisiana!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

A couple of cookie sheets with short sides on them and you can build a turbo in your room.. I replaced parts in a 4L80E valve body in a hotel room before..

-Christopher
Old 10-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Im not positive that the Ford + IH run the same turbo or not--but i bet these guys do. www.gpopshop.com I've used them a few times-I got a rebuild kit for my 7.3. Great kit-great people to deal with.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
Im not positive that the Ford + IH run the same turbo or not--but i bet these guys do. www.gpopshop.com I've used them a few times-I got a rebuild kit for my 7.3. Great kit-great people to deal with.
Thanks for the link, I just sent them an email to ask what is the right kit for the engine. I will post back here for anyone else that might be looking in future.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
As was mentioned, definitely check out an International dealer. They'll know what you need and how to get it. From my past experiences the prices are just fine, too. It's not like a car dealer where you'll pay 200% the actual price.

If you bring them the VIN they'll be able to look up anything about your chassis, including rear gear ratio.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
A couple of cookie sheets with short sides on them and you can build a turbo in your room.. I replaced parts in a 4L80E valve body in a hotel room before..

-Christopher
I never thought about using cookie sheets, great idea! I will run to Walmart tonight and pick up a couple!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Bus Geek

yeah I used the kind with like the 1 inch sides.. Cheapies i bought at Big lots.. I think they are still un my garage.. great pans for holding messy parts when I take things down and dont want the parts to get lost...

as fasr as IHC dealer pricing... some things i found are reasonable there.. but like the fan clutch for both busses.. the IHC dealer wanted $600 and changed for them.. whereas Kit-masters sells the same borg-warner clutch for $250 or less...

now the V-band and manifold gaskets I needed for the DT-360 were sheaper at the dealer than specialty shop sellers online.. same with the fuel pressure sporing upgrade I needed.. it was the same way. dealer price was same and they had it on the shelf..

I know iun Columhus Ohio my IHC dealer is Rush truck... I always call there first for the part number and since i do buy stuff there they havent gotten wise or given me crap about calling asking for part numbers only to buy them elsewhere...

-Christopher