Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryannmelis View Post
do you have the R D 3 2 1 shifter or another type? how is your mileage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

while I havent run my AT545 in the rockies.. I have no issues with it the apps, smokies, and poconos.. ive run it to new york, the carolinas, and currently down in florida with it..

I have a DT360 / AT545 / 4.78 gears / 11R22.5 Tires...

the bus CAN run 65-68 on flat ground but i find its happiest at 60-62 and gets 10.5 - 11 MPG running it that way.. (thats with 2 Air conditioners blasting).. seems to have a little more power when the compressor cycles off..

in a couple of the hills I slowed down to 50 and my RPM dropped to about 2200-2300 so I was just below the max power band.. but it was less than a mile and then I was right back at 60 again ..

I got my bus in may and have run over 5000 miles on it.. (yes I bought it to drive..)..

I figure if i was going to damage or destroy an AT545 in the hills i would have done it by now driving it in hot summer.. every time i heck my fluid its still full and blood red and it shift nice and firm .

I have no plans to take my bus over the rockies.... if I did I wouldve likely bought one with a DT466 / MT643 ...

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you are a 9R20 and want to go to a 10R22.5? doesnt that mean the star hub will be the wrong size on the daytons?

I went from 10R22.5 to an 11R22.5 and went from Load range F to load range H which is a tad bit harder ride although ive got air ride rear so that helps..

I went up in load because im now with very standard truck tires.. uniroyals, so very easy to match and replace if I damage one...

im on daytons but they are tubeless and not a split rim..

the big issue with split rims is that very few shops will touch them and no mobile service will that I know of...

dayton rims are still somewhat common on older dump trucks still in service in many areas so shops know how to work on and align daytons, just not split rim.

-Christopher
Yes I am 9r20 tubed and want to go to 10r22.5 tubeless Daytons.
The same rims are made for the swap out with the star hub and I think the common misconception is still there?
My rim does have the split ring that goes on the rim and if not done properly are still dangerous but they are not the split rim (Firestone,rj45?) that was banned before mine were created and are still widely used especially on trailer's. So no problem there. Shoot I can change them myself if needed but I would still put some ratchet straps or chains on it to be safe which is easy enough with the rims I have.
I am looking for the rims you have so on your way out of Florida stop by NC and I will change them out real quick so you can get back on the road!
Thanks buddy?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Corp
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72
Christopher,
Thanks makes me respect the 545 a little more.

Lots of life to live.
Ryannmelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Brad
I have an eaton rear end
Msg model 16s
Model 16121
Head 121523
I haven't found anything to reference these numbers to?
And that price was with me buying the new ring and pinion and bring them the head only?
I thought it was ridiculous but still haven't found the gears and haven't found any rims around here yet.
I did find some on eBay for 60$ a piece but they were in Illinois .
Thanks
I forget what axle I have (i have it wrote down somewhere). You're in NC? It wouldn't be too awful far to ship rims from Northeast GA (where said boneyard is located), and the place I called for gears was in Atlanta. It is my understanding the 20/22.5 wheels will interchange perfectly, my bus is a prime example of that, currently having 22.5's on front and 20's on back.

If you want to call the gear shop in Atlanta and give them the axle model number, tell them you want to bring/send the module, they can give you an accurate quote, but I would expect somewhere around the $800-ish range I got.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryannmelis View Post
food for thought Thomas.com has all the gear ratios.

Here is all you need.

https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailvi...?part=24363953
display by Hvbuzz, on Flickr

or this one,
https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailvi...?part=24435212

Shipping would not be cost effective. But you should be able to find a big truck yard in your area I would think. Vanderhaags, is the place I exchanged mine. I can't say enough good about them. I had them replace my clutch, and it was pretty reasonable too.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
Bus Nut

HV buzz, believe me I have gone out of my way to find those parts in my area?
My closest and best option is a full rear end swap but I can't match all of the points like spring anchor points ,at least equal springs that come with the entire rear end, drive shaft heads. I do have a real good weld shop that does driveshaft for a living but everything I can find has a head for a bigger drive shaft so even more money to fabricate the reducing/increasing shaft than it is IF I COULD FIND the right stuff.
There is no vanderhaags around here.
I am talking to a very experienced and older man about a 2-speed rear end that he has and he thinks we can make it work but that would leave me with chrome budd rims on the back and spray painted silver Daytons on the front and I was trying to keep the same all the way around so I only had to carry one spare for all, spare rim with tire mounted ready to swap.
I haven't looked it up yet but what is Thomas.net is it Thomas body works?
If so then I have talked to them and they only built and installed my body.
Ford built my chassis and the local dealers can't get parts and my rear end was built by eaton and my rear end was discontinued in 89 so no parts from eaton either?
I know the eaton one for fact because my family lives 30-min. From there main U.S. plant and my dad,brother and brother in law all went there at seperate times even a year apart and received the same answers from the manager,the engineer and the head fabricator.
I have tried.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I forget what axle I have (i have it wrote down somewhere). You're in NC? It wouldn't be too awful far to ship rims from Northeast GA (where said boneyard is located), and the place I called for gears was in Atlanta. It is my understanding the 20/22.5 wheels will interchange perfectly, my bus is a prime example of that, currently having 22.5's on front and 20's on back.

If you want to call the gear shop in Atlanta and give them the axle model number, tell them you want to bring/send the module, they can give you an accurate quote, but I would expect somewhere around the $800-ish range I got.
Thanks, Brad.
A name and number for both places would help a lot or just the names and I can take it from there.
There aren't many bone yards around here and then the ones I do find are on the instate near the big truck stops and they want big trucking bussiness not someone on there own and even some RV people I have talked to have had to get towed somewhere else to get work done? Usually small garages that say they can do it and then take weeks?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
HV buzz, believe me I have gone out of my way to find those parts in my area?
I tried searching for a little while last night on the part numbers you posted. I too, did not find much available. Your axle must be some odd ball that wasn't used much.

My closest and best option is a full rear end swap

I also think this is your best option. If parts are that are to find for it while you are home, I would hate to think about breaking down somewhere, with no options.

but I can't match all of the points like spring anchor points ,at least equal springs that come with the entire rear end, drive shaft heads. I do have a real good weld shop that does driveshaft for a living but everything I can find has a head for a bigger drive shaft so even more money to fabricate the reducing/increasing shaft than it is IF I COULD FIND the right stuff.

That sucks!!

There is no vanderhaags around here.

Since medium duty trucks are used everywhere, which our buses are built off of, It amazes me there isn't anything fairly local to you. That being the case, I feel your pain.

I am talking to a very experienced and older man about a 2-speed rear end that he has and he thinks we can make it work but that would leave me with chrome budd rims on the back and spray painted silver Daytons on the front and I was trying to keep the same all the way around so I only had to carry one spare for all, sparsuxe rim with tire mounted ready to swap.

I would try and do some more looking for a closer match rear axle assembly. I would think the spicer n175 that is my bus would be a close match. Parts are everywhere for them also. Mine is hydro brakes and dayton rims too. Most mdt frames are 34" wide,. so I would think you would be able to reuse your leaf springs, which in turn not having to relocate perches and such

I haven't looked it up yet but what is Thomas.net is it Thomas body works?
If so then I have talked to them and they only built and installed my body.
Ford built my chassis and the local dealers can't get parts and my rear end was built by eaton and my rear end was discontinued in 89 so no parts from eaton either?
I know the eaton one for fact because my family lives 30-min. From there main U.S. plant and my dad,brother and brother in law all went there at seperate times even a year apart and received the same answers from the manager,the engineer and the head fabricator.
I have tried.
The parts I posted pics and links for, I thought might help Ryan. Or at least give him some ideas of prices. He was posting about just gears. If he goes that route it, will not be cheap to have someone set up the gears vs. just replacing the carrier.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Thanks, Brad.
A name and number for both places would help a lot or just the names and I can take it from there.
There aren't many bone yards around here and then the ones I do find are on the instate near the big truck stops and they want big trucking bussiness not someone on there own and even some RV people I have talked to have had to get towed somewhere else to get work done? Usually small garages that say they can do it and then take weeks?
I *think* this is the gear shop: Atlanta Gear & Axle, Inc.

And Ye Olde Boneyard: Simpson and Simpson LLC | Used Truck Parts Georgia

No idea what Simpson can do in the way of repairs, it was a boneyard when I last visited, ages ago. I only called a few weeks ago about 22.5 rims.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #30
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Corp
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz View Post
The parts I posted pics and links for, I thought might help Ryan. Or at least give him some ideas of prices. He was posting about just gears. If he goes that route it, will not be cheap to have someone set up the gears vs. just replacing the carrier.
thanks HVbuzz I appreciate it that is a much faster route. I will be going through them when I'm ready to pull the trigger. The carrier housing is much easier than a ring and pinion swap.

Lots of life to live.
Ryannmelis is offline   Reply With Quote