Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

trans options for IH 9 liter v8 diesel?

want to know what transmissions fit behind a IH 9.0L v8 diesel? have 5spd manual now. think it is a Clark. like manual, just need more hwy speed. thinking different gears or more.

DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I've driven a LOT of 9.0L. Speed aint gonna happen. Whats your top speed now?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Get something like an 8 speed with o/d. You'll have to see what flywheel housing you have and your clutch setup to see what will work.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
change the rear end ratio, cheaper than a new transmission
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

thinking third member would be easiest. a trans with more gears closer together would be optimum. havent id rear or trans yet. navistar keeps sending me to dealer/service centers, but when i contact them they dont have a clue. highway is 60mph at 2700rpm. guess im gonna jack up a rear wheel and guess the ratio.
DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

do you have the specs on the engine, HP torque?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Have a look at the axle before you guess on the ratio. It should have a data placard somewhere that shows the info you desire. An international dealer should be able to look all that up for you if you give them your vin. If they can't, then the bus body manufacturer should be able to as well(might have to give them the body number to do that however). What kind of bus do you have?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Have a look at the axle before you guess on the ratio. It should have a data placard somewhere that shows the info you desire. An international dealer should be able to look all that up for you if you give them your vin. If they can't, then the bus body manufacturer should be able to as well(might have to give them the body number to do that however). What kind of bus do you have?
Might be easier to find your IC Bus dealer. However, the build sheet may not have the rear axle ratio. I know mine didn't when I talked to Wolfington Bus here in NJ

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Even with a data plate, it could easily have been changed over the years.

In neutral, jack up the left rear tire...put marks on the tire and a reference point (I used the ground)...then do the same on the driveshaft. Rotate the wheel one full turn and count how many turns the driveshaft makes. That is you gear ratio for the rear axle. Compare your numbers to what is available for that axle and you can nail it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

get the VIN, cal the international dealer, if the4 bus is newer than 1980, they will give you the specs of the chassis as it left the factory, including the axle ratio and what engine and engine ratings
Old 12-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

I suppose my first question is why would you bother messing around with a 9.0L for any reason.

While IHC does support their products better than just about anyone out there, even they eventually stop supporting their products. And it has been a long time since the 9.0L was offered so it has been a long time since new parts were made for it.

Most of those engines topped out at about 180 HP which isn't a lot of HP to move a big brick down the road.

They were not designed to work with a turbo. Adding a turbo tends to blow the bottom end out of those engines.

If you are lucky you don't have one of the engines that had a pump that would only deliver fuel to four cylinders at idle--a way in which to reduce fuel use but didn't really do anything except to make them idle really rough.

If you are lucky you don't have a leaker. They were very prone to leaking, particularly out of the oil cooler. Once they start leaking there isn't much you can do except pour oil into them or rebuild the engine.

If the engine is in a bus that you have already converted I would suggest it would cost less for you to purchase another IHC bus with a better (higher HP engine), a better transmission, and perhaps better axles with a higher speed rear end.

If you haven't spent much time and effort converting it might be better to just paint it a nice try and start over again with a better platform.

If you decide you really want to stay with what you have and just change the transmission, the 9.0L should use the same bell housing as the DT360/466 engines. It won't have the same bell housing as the 6.9/7.3/T444 engine.

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9 liter deisel, international, manual transmission, more speed