Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29
Transmission Fluid for DT466E?

I am replacing an Allison Transmission Filter P/N 29539579 and will need to top up the new filter with fluid - the question is - what sort of fluid (brand/name?) would I need to put into it? Will any "Automatic Transmission Fluid" work or does it have to be something specific? The International Engine Operation manual talks about Fuel, Oil and Coolant, but says nothing about Transmission Fluid!

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Hi Tim,

I believe the International Engine Operation manual doesn't mention the transmission because it's totally separate from the engine. I have a DT466E engine as well but that has nothing to do with the transmissions that is installed in my bus. In my bus I have an Allison MD3060 automatic transmission. But there is also MT545, MT645, and various other transmissions that are put into buses regardless of the engine type.

I know this does not answer your question about what type of transmission fluid you need and for that I'm sorry but I just wanted to point out that engines and their transmissions in buses vary widely.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Google-fu leads me here, Allison's approved ATF fluid page (for on highway applications). BP, BASF, and Shell fluids are listed.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

For the older Allison AT/MT/HT transmissions Dexron II/III/IV will work just fine.

For the newer electronically controlled 1000/2000/3000 transmissions you will need a synthetic that meets Allison's Transynd fluid spe'c.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:50 AM   #5
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Hi Tim,

I believe the International Engine Operation manual doesn't mention the transmission because it's totally separate from the engine. I have a DT466E engine as well but that has nothing to do with the transmissions that is installed in my bus. In my bus I have an Allison MD3060 automatic transmission. But there is also MT545, MT645, and various other transmissions that are put into buses regardless of the engine type.

I know this does not answer your question about what type of transmission fluid you need and for that I'm sorry but I just wanted to point out that engines and their transmissions in buses vary widely.
Thanks for this! I'm guessing the Transmission Fluid is going to be the same regardless of the model but I suppose the next question is how do I work out which Transmission I have! Is there any way to look it up from the VIN?
Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

With the VIN you can get a Line Setting Ticket from either an IC bus dealer or any IHC Truck dealer. The LST is the birth record of your bus and it will spell out everything that was used to build your bus.

Or you can slide under the bus and check on the driver's side of the transmission for the builder's tag. It should have the model and serial number for the transmission.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
With the VIN you can get a Line Setting Ticket from either an IC bus dealer or any IHC Truck dealer. The LST is the birth record of your bus and it will spell out everything that was used to build your bus.
n.
So is this for any IHC cause mind is a 95
Old 03-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Any IC Bus dealer or IHC/Navistar Truck dealer should have access to what you need going back to around 1985.

Anything older you will need to go to a vendor like Binderbooks or the Wisconsin Historical Society as the originals were given away a long time ago.

Tractor Manuals, Farm Toys, Tractor Decals, Collectibles, Books

McCormick-International Harvester Collection - Overview | Wisconsin Historical Society
Old 03-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Skoolie

Looks like I have an Allison 2000 Transmission so need a TES-295 standard fluid. You can only buy Castrol Transynd in 20 litre containers, but Repsol sell 1litre TES-295 Automatic Transmission Fluid so I've gone with that.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
It's this tes 295 a synthetic fluid ???
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote