Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,151
Transmission recommendations???

Greetings to all. It has been many, many moons since I've posted here. It is time for me to get my 1994 International Tiny Big Bus finished and on the road. Engine is a DT408.

I've been trying to figure out a good overdrive transmission to replace the AT545. My guess I'd a 6 speed manual transmission. I do not want any computers in my drivetrain. This is not a big bus and not very heavy. I may pull a toad so I do not want a non lockup converter. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly welcomed. I will try and post a picture soon.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,151
Maybe a 7 speed or 8, 9 or 10 speed.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:24 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,494
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Greetings to all. It has been many, many moons since I've posted here. It is time for me to get my 1994 International Tiny Big Bus finished and on the road. Engine is a DT408.

I've been trying to figure out a good overdrive transmission to replace the AT545. My guess I'd a 6 speed manual transmission. I do not want any computers in my drivetrain. This is not a big bus and not very heavy. I may pull a toad so I do not want a non lockup converter. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly welcomed. I will try and post a picture soon.
Most of the medium duty stick shifts don't have OD from what I've seen. Maybe go with a real class 8 unit!
Why wouldn't you want the converter in an auto locked for towing??
643 would probably be the easiest swap. But if you want OD then a 2000 would get you that and lockup.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #4
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,151
A 643 is an option but it is still one to one final. I really want overdrive. I do not want an electronic transmission.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,494
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
A 643 is an option but it is still one to one final. I really want overdrive. I do not want an electronic transmission.
I hear ya.
The current shorty I have came with a 545 and I've only ever had one bus with OD.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,860
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
stick shift == Yuck.. cumbersome to drive the older truck stick transmissions.. clunky to say the least..



spend some $$ and put a 2 speed rear end in and an MT-643. if OD is that important.



otherwise go electronic.. Love my 6 speed electronic trans..



the MT-643 in my dev bus made it a whole different bus.. with 11R tires on it and lockup with a 4.78 rear I can easily cruise 65 and my engine is at about 2600 RPM or so (DT360).. it climbs hills a little slow but not nearly as slow as it did with a 545..


a DT408 with the pump screws twisted out a bit.. 11R tires and a 5.13 rear is likely a good 65 MPH cruiser with an MT-643..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,935
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Here is a 7 speed OD syncro medium duty transmission.

Medium & Heavy Duty Truck Transmissions
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Here is a 7 speed OD syncro medium duty transmission.

Medium & Heavy Duty Truck Transmissions
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/Literat...ansmission.pdf

Thanks.

Any idea of price? I will call on Monday.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
stick shift == Yuck.. cumbersome to drive the older truck stick transmissions.. clunky to say the least..



spend some $$ and put a 2 speed rear end in and an MT-643. if OD is that important.



otherwise go electronic.. Love my 6 speed electronic trans..



the MT-643 in my dev bus made it a whole different bus.. with 11R tires on it and lockup with a 4.78 rear I can easily cruise 65 and my engine is at about 2600 RPM or so (DT360).. it climbs hills a little slow but not nearly as slow as it did with a 545..


a DT408 with the pump screws twisted out a bit.. 11R tires and a 5.13 rear is likely a good 65 MPH cruiser with an MT-643..

The 2 speed rear is an option but I have never had any experience with one. 2600 RPM is a no go. I can not stand that high of RPM. Maybe a VW diesel. What 6 speed do you have?
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,494
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
The 2 speed rear is an option but I have never had any experience with on. 2600 RPM is a no go. I can not stand that high of RPM. Maybe a VW diesel. What 6 speed do you have?
With the 3.42 gearing I've got in my bus I'm getting about 1800 rpm at 65mph. I've got a 545. Not ideal but it works for now.
This bus is super quiet going down the highway. I agree- 2600 is just too much rpm!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.