Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
Almost There

Water in oil - DT466

Watching and probably bidding on bus on GovDeals that's 45 minutes from me.

Problem is, I can't inspect the bus because I won't be home until after the auction. I know I'm rolling the dice on this one...

1. I may not win the auction. My bid is low, gonna stay that way.

2. Coolant is in the oil, not oil in the coolant, which means needs new liners. In frame rebuild.

Anyone here do one? I have no doubt in my ability rebuilding the DT466e. Just gotta make it home, which is about a hour drive.

CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive not done one myself... to me the biggest obstacle would be getting the head off.. if you have a nice tall hoist that should no big deal..

well document the the wiring as, on the E thats a huge deal to get all that back right..

otherwise I think id probably at least crack the oil drain plug partially and let the water out before starting out.. (the water shouldve worked its way to the bottom of the pan since the bus was last run so will leak out easy without removing the drain plug) then maybe drive at cooler times of day... usually the liners go because the bus got hot.. and keep the reservoire cap cracked to not build coolant pressure, might minimize the amount of coolant that goes into the oil for your drive home... then take it easy, drive it home, rebuild it and have a bus with a fresh motor!!

I own the computer interface and software that should talk to that DT-466E so if after the rebuild , the computer needs help, we can figure out a way to get it to you for diagnosis..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Hey, Chris - what kind of interface do you need? I was able to get a hold of the software (ServiceMaxx), but wondering where to go next...

Thanks!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

There are multiple choices to use ServiceMaxx, I would recommend Nexiq USB Link, but if you want something cheaper you could use Drew Technologies TVIT, thats the cheapest interface I've seen working with International software.
martind.valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I have the NEXIQ USB-link-2 as it has multiple cable-heads i can use with it so I can also use that device with my OBD-II software for my cars..

ive heard good things about the TVIT on J1708 stuff being just fine... some had issues with it on newer J1939 but most all of our busses are on J1708
-Christopher
Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Hey, Chris - what kind of interface do you need? I was able to get a hold of the software (ServiceMaxx), but wondering where to go next...

Thanks!

John

IHC Gives away the J-1708 software for free now.. you can just download it from their site.. the J1708 should cover the 2 engines we see most in our Busses, the DT-466E, and the T-444E, I dont know if it covers any of the cummins engines sold in International Chassis or not.. I dont have one to try it with..

when you plug it in, it should Detect your engine type..

remember it is service-shop level software so it doiesnt have all the fail-safes in it that consumer level scan product do.. so its possible to cause engine damage by running override tests incorrectly...

take your time, and learn it.. it has a learning curve..

you can also run it in simulated mode and simulate a running engine withiut beiung plugged into your vehicle... this way tyou can learn how to read it and use it..

-Christopher
Old 10-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive not done one myself... to me the biggest obstacle would be getting the head off.. if you have a nice tall hoist that should no big deal..

well document the the wiring as, on the E thats a huge deal to get all that back right..

otherwise I think id probably at least crack the oil drain plug partially and let the water out before starting out.. (the water shouldve worked its way to the bottom of the pan since the bus was last run so will leak out easy without removing the drain plug) then maybe drive at cooler times of day... usually the liners go because the bus got hot.. and keep the reservoire cap cracked to not build coolant pressure, might minimize the amount of coolant that goes into the oil for your drive home... then take it easy, drive it home, rebuild it and have a bus with a fresh motor!!

I own the computer interface and software that should talk to that DT-466E so if after the rebuild , the computer needs help, we can figure out a way to get it to you for diagnosis..

-Christopher
This is all hypothetically speaking, considering I don't own said bus. But, I seriously doubt anyone is gonna bid on it because of oil in the water.

The biggest hurdle would be lifting the head off the engine, and that's nothing a HF engine lift can't handle.

I may be wrong, but the DT466 is basically a big ass tractor engine. I'm not gonna mess with the cam/timing or anything like that. Just pull the sleeves and replace them.

No special tool needed for that. All you need is a floor jack and a 2x4.
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Bus Geek

its worth putting bearings in it .. with water in the oil if it was run long it will have washed out the mains..

well at least pop a bearing cap or two and take a look since you have to take the pan down anyway... with new liners you'll be ringing it... if the head gasket ever leaked the pistons will be bumped but an in-frame rebuild kit usually comes with pistons.

you can inspect the heads to see if there is any evidence of oil leakage at the valve guides and see what the valves look like... I usually pop the springs off a couple valves to see what my valve stems look like and what the travel feels like through the guide... most times I'll have a head worked and have it planed so its alot easier to get the gasket to seal.. unless im going totally down i always clean the block myself and havent ever had a head gasket leak... though ive only ever rebuilt oine diesel.. multiutudes of gas engines...

but it sounds like you know your way around inside a motor so I'll shut up and subscribe
-Christopher