Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Mid-bus
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 49?
what trans do i have and other tuneup ?s

Ive got a 1996 international 3400 with the T444E engine and a 3 speed auto trans, cant figure out what trans it is but assume its the AT545? Got under the vehicle and tried to look around and find some sort of indication, Found none... it does seem to have a deep pan

Its beens sitting for 4 years, but started every few months. Im getting ready to do a total tune up, change all fluids and filters and am hoping to use it as a moving van to take all my stuff up north 900 miles.

Been looking into the transmission filter change (internal and external) and am wondering what fluid to use? The existing oil doesn't smell very good, kinda burnt, but its quite old too. I bought the bus over 8 years ago and haven't ever changed any fluids. I Haven't put too many miles on the bus since I bought it, maybe 1,500 or so, but I dont have service records from before I bought it either, so I figure its just time to change everything.

Unfortunately the tires have sat for 4 years in the same spot too, rears were elevated on wood blocks, as was one front, however the passenger side front was just sitting on the ground. Im a bit worried about flat spots and dry rot, but will take it by a tire place when the time comes i guess.

Any advice on fluids for the trans and coolant would be appreciated! I know about cavitation with the coolant system, not sure what brands coolant to look for, or what the capacity of the cooling system is even!

Thanks yall!

Bungeekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The middle number on 3 digit Allisons is the number of gears. A 545 is a four speed.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungeekord View Post
Ive got a 1996 international 3400 with the T444E engine and a 3 speed auto trans, cant figure out what trans it is but assume its the AT545? Got under the vehicle and tried to look around and find some sort of indication, Found none... it does seem to have a deep pan

Its beens sitting for 4 years, but started every few months. Im getting ready to do a total tune up, change all fluids and filters and am hoping to use it as a moving van to take all my stuff up north 900 miles.

Been looking into the transmission filter change (internal and external) and am wondering what fluid to use? The existing oil doesn't smell very good, kinda burnt, but its quite old too. I bought the bus over 8 years ago and haven't ever changed any fluids. I Haven't put too many miles on the bus since I bought it, maybe 1,500 or so, but I dont have service records from before I bought it either, so I figure its just time to change everything.

Unfortunately the tires have sat for 4 years in the same spot too, rears were elevated on wood blocks, as was one front, however the passenger side front was just sitting on the ground. Im a bit worried about flat spots and dry rot, but will take it by a tire place when the time comes i guess.

Any advice on fluids for the trans and coolant would be appreciated! I know about cavitation with the coolant system, not sure what brands coolant to look for, or what the capacity of the cooling system is even!

Thanks yall!
Take it by an Allison Service rep. and they can do a forced fluid change that gets out all of the old trans fluid. Just draining it will leave about a gallon of old fluid in it. If im not mistaken an AT 545 is a 4 speed auto. google allison transmissions and you can learn a lot
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Where do i look for an id plate or whatever on this transmission?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
545-

643-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

ok, the trans def looks like the 545 but the shifting lever in the cab only has 3 gears on it (1,2,3). Also when I wiki my bus it seems this engine was commonly paired to the at545. who knows...

Might just do all the other fluids and filters and then take it to a big rig shop to have the trans fluid and filters changed. Hoping it will be ok once I get it back on the road.

Anyone have experience with tires that sat 4 + years and flat spots? Im worried sick about the cost of replacing all these tires!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

well i cant figure out how to attach pics, other wise id show what the shifter and trans look like...
Old 07-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungeekord View Post
ok, the trans def looks like the 545 but the shifting lever in the cab only has 3 gears on it (1,2,3). Also when I wiki my bus it seems this engine was commonly paired to the at545. who knows...

Might just do all the other fluids and filters and then take it to a big rig shop to have the trans fluid and filters changed. Hoping it will be ok once I get it back on the road.

Anyone have experience with tires that sat 4 + years and flat spots? Im worried sick about the cost of replacing all these tires!
If the tires are old and all that just suck it up and get em replaced.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Normally I wouldn't suggest it, but if you *REALLY* need to save some money on tires, you can consider retreads for the rear axle. I would not consider retreads for steer tires (and at least in commercial usage, they're prohibited on steering axles). Some tire shops also offer "take-offs" (used tires). Might find some in good shape at a wrecking yard too.

If the tires were fairly good prior to being parked, then they'll probably be alright. Radial tires don't really develop flat spots as much as old bias-ply tires - on a late 90's bus, they came riding on radials. Dry rot will be apparent by small cracks on the sidewalls, if the tires were replaced at some point during its time as a school bus, chances are the tires will be under 10 years old (or maybe close to it?).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote