Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista
Engine: T444e
White Fluid in t444e Valley

Hi all, I'm having an issue with my t444e on my Vista. Went out to tinker with the AC system today that we are trying to fix. As usual, bus started up fine and idled as sweet as can be. Was messing with some of the AC controls when after about 5 minutes of idling, I smelled some fuel. Not thinking much of it, I went outside to check on the AC compressor belt, when I saw fluid pouring out from under the bus. Went inside, opened up the doghouse, and saw the entire valley flooded with solid white fluid that was steadily running down the back of the valley. Shut the bus off and went outside again to smell/feel it. Very oily, and has just enough of a fuel smell for it to smell like diesel. In the valley its white, on the ground its clear. We replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one back in March after a similar scenario (less fluid in the valley that time) and have been driving it since then with zero issues. Any idea what this fluid could be? No smoke out of the exhaust and like I said, it idled perfectly as usual and I only noticed it because of the smell. Around 180,xxx miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

e90bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Most likely diesel mixed with water that was in the valley. The white stuff in the valley is diesel/water emulsion and the stuff dripping down is fresh diesel that floats on top of the heavier emulsion.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
Most likely diesel mixed with water that was in the valley. The white stuff in the valley is diesel/water emulsion and the stuff dripping down is fresh diesel that floats on top of the heavier emulsion.
I didn't get a chance to drain the valley and restart it to see the source, was running out of time for the day and didn't feel like getting in to it at this point in time. I'll head back out soon and see where the source is I guess. I'm slightly hoping its the fuel pump again since its under warranty and we've done the job already, but perturbed at why the pump would've gone bad so fast after replacement.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I've been told the bus has a cracked head. My coolant reservoir is dry and we can see the milky liquid bubbling out of the top of the engine, apparently where the crack or blown head gasket is allowing the coolant and oil to mix. This will be the end of the road for my bus and skoolie conversion, a sad day for us.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bmw View Post
I've been told the bus has a cracked head. My coolant reservoir is dry and we can see the milky liquid bubbling out of the top of the engine, apparently where the crack or blown head gasket is allowing the coolant and oil to mix. This will be the end of the road for my bus and skoolie conversion, a sad day for us.
I posted on your other thread on the topic. It seems you still don't know whether it's a gasket or a cracked head, big difference between the two. I'd get a definitive answer before throwing in the towel and selling the bus as non running.

What does the oil on the dipstick look like?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bmw View Post
Why not just fix the problem? If you need to replace a head, there are plenty of these engines available in junkyards for reasonable money.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote