Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC3S530
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I know for a fact that stock pumps wear and lose the ability to pump volume at pressure.. esp at lower RPMs.

while your engine doesnt require high oil pressure at low idle RPMs or low load factors to keep that film of oil in the bearings, it does require it loaded.. there is no magic spring valve that changes with RPMs in our engines that lets oil go through at idle.. the drop in pressure is because the pump cannot push any more.. (there is a pressure relief spring if the oil is really cold it relieves High pressure)..

when I replaced my oil pump a few months ago with an aftermarket (stock specs).. it increased ny low RPM oil flow quite a bit. I only did it because it was super easy when I had the front of my bus in pieces already.. my old pump showed a little wear.. but for 8500+ hours and 150k miles it looked good..

im guessing someone running their bus under full engine load at higher RPMs.. ie no overdrive.. or an AT545 trans running at stall speed all the time wont have any oiling issues if some oil is pulled away for a bypass filter..

but what about someone running at full load at lower RPM.s. with my new trans my RPMs went from 2500 on the highway to 1600... will my oil pump still flow enough oil to keep the bearing film if I pulled away some of it for a bypass? no way really to know other than if I did it and wrote back 5 years from now.. "still going strong 60k miles later"... or 5 weeks. "dang i spun a main"

maybe the fact the oil is inherently cleaner negates any negative noticed in oil flow..

I do tend to like AMSoil's arguments and ideas.. ive used their products over the years.. (their coolant is in my bus now)..
-Christopher

I like your Redbyrd btw. Is that like a barn red color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk