Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

10 or 13 speed eaton fuller behind 3126

I'm new to the forum, and joined in hopes to find any more information on what its going to take toplace a RTLO14610a (super ten) or an RTO14613 behind a 3126E CAT with an FS-5205. I purchased the bus over a year ago and would like an overdrive and more gears to pull a larger enclosed trailer. From what i have researched im going to need an SAE #2 bellhousing but im unsure if the input shafts on the transmissions are the same. The bus is a 2001 BB CV2000? Its about 38' long and seated 68? 134,500 miles. 4:11 rear. I would also like to have the engine turned up. I believe its only set at 156HP from the sticker on the engine. Planning on using the bus for sled trips to the mountains and road trips.

I already know im going to need air to shift and have the shaft length changed. Im hoping on some pointers from someone that has already done this. I dont wanna hear about how my motor is garbage or i should get an allison. i want to be able to pull 7-15k lbs up the mountains. Which would be very difficult with this gearing. And i would also like to cruise down the interstate at around 2K RPM while road trippin instead of having it off the limiter at 72MPH. Basically turn it into a Toter/MDTruck. I think it should be possible with the right gearing. There has to be someone that has already done this!

bootzee612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
For your needs you should have gotten a Cummins 8.3, MD3060 combo.

That Cat engine is way under powered, and not much is going to help.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

I thought I had already covered that reply Nat. If they used these engines in dump trucks and other heavy applications it shouldn't have that big of problem doing what I'm asking of it, if I can get it turned up to 250HP. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum for mechanical advice and drivetrain modifications.
bootzee612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootzee612 View Post
I dont wanna hear about how my motor is garbage or i should get an allison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
For your needs you should have gotten a Cummins 8.3, MD3060 combo.

That Cat engine is way under powered, and not much is going to help.

Nat
Glad you didn't miss out on that chance nat Seriously, why did you bother? It's not helpful, it's not elightening, and further more, you showed you didn't even read the entire post. So why? Are you just that conceited?

Anyways, I've never seen anyone on here do this to this particular bus. Here's my thoughts.

You have a huge head start on the project by already having a manual transmission in there. So this should be simple compared to others wanting to swap over from an automatic.

Measure your flywheel housing. You might already have an sae2 because the parts manual I have only lists #2 housings. So you might be good there.

Your clutch housing won't work, so what ever clutch type you have(push/pull/above/below) will determine what housing you should look for on the new transmission.

Your flywheel should work between the two.

As far as input shafts go, that's a tough one. I doubt what you have will work with either of your desired options just because of the torque rating differences. You're just going to have to tear into it, figure out what you need, and then go through the parts manual to find it.

The new input shaft will determine if your current clutch will work or not.

You can upgrade the 3126 for more power. You'll have to hook it to a computer to verify what you currently have, but I don't think they even came in 156. I know the c7's can go up to 360hp, and the 3126 is the father of them, so 250 should be attainable. Talk to a cat dealer, see what you currently have, and see what options are available. Different levels have different internal parts, so that's why you need to verify what you have. Maybe if your close I could take a look.

Anyways, good luck, and PM me if you'd like.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
PS, If the overdrives in both transmissions are relatively equal(I didn't look them up) I'd go with the super 10 any day of the week. The shifting pattern on those can be shifted like either a 5 or 10. So if you're on flatlands, there is no reason to go into low range in any of the gears, so you can shift it just like your 5 speed you have now
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Be vary carefull with your words Booyah45828.
You would not want to violate any of the Community Rules here.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/misc.p...ork&page=rules

I read his entire post.

99% of people here hate Cat engines.

I would not own one if you gave it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootzee612 View Post
I thought I had already covered that reply Nat. If they used these engines in dump trucks and other heavy applications it shouldn't have that big of problem doing what I'm asking of it, if I can get it turned up to 250HP. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum for mechanical advice and drivetrain modifications.
They also used to install small gas V8's in dump trucks.

There is simply no replacement for displacement. Biggest of importance is the stroke length to generate the torque needed to move the weight.

This is about the last place your going to find good info on the swap you want to do. Other forums like pirate 4x4 would be a better choice for diversity of mechanical knowledge regarding medium duty truck chassis.

But good luck, and carry on. What you want to do can be done without a issue.

Please post pics when you get down tot he swap. We all love pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm accepting donations of any and all Cat's.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I have a RTO910 for sale. It came out of a Crown or Giillig but I think it uses a SAE #1 housing.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
3208's are so good they made them basically unchanged for over 30 years
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freighliner
Chassis: Fs-65
Engine: 5.9l cummins
Rated Cap: 36 passenger
Did you ever do that trans swap. I'm looking to do a 13spd conversion on my rig aswell.
Cjgoertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
OP has not been active in over two years.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #12
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
OP has not been active in over two years.
Might have forgotten their password or gotten locked out through an email change or something. Happened to me...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:17 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Same here. It ended up being easier to create a new profile because the password retrieval process for RVLife networks was an endless loop with no result.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote