Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Rated Cap: 78
I sent the injectors out only to find out that they in fact do not rebuild and test side mounted injectors. They could send them out for $75 an injector but after a long talk with the guy my problem may not be injector at all.

There is the question of the burnt o ring. It looks like it could have been one of the hi pressure oil line o rings from the top of the injector. I only see three with my other parts. The other three are either stuck to the injector (currently not home) or were never in place when I pulled them. I'll have to wait and see.

They suggested the fuel pump if it is starving for fuel. The pump does look like it is leaking a bit. Also, I'm not sure I should rule out the head gasket. I only drove this bus once and at the time thought it was the turbo.

Big11beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #62
Skoolie

I finally got the bus insured and registered today and took it for its first test drive today. No smoke at all! The injectors were retuned unchanged because they could test my type of injector. I cleaned of the tips of all six injectors with steel wool. Injector #5 from the photos above had the remains of an out of place oring broken and fried to a crisp. I also cleaned the injector cups with steal wool as well. all orings were accounted for from the oil rail but at some point one ended up in that injector cup. Someone joked about all the red rags in the head while I had it taken apart but no lost orings will get lost in my engine
Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #63
Skoolie

Above is a great example of posting by phone. "Could NOT test" the injectors is what I meant to type.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #64
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas (ShortBus)
Chassis: E450
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 15 person
Hi every one, im Matt, new to the school bus and diesel world, experiencing pretty much the same problem as Big11, on my 2002 E450 7.3 (Thomas Short Bus). I bought the bus in december and drove it from San Diego to San Fransisco without having this issue at all. I’ve been parked since and have ran the engine about every week or two. The engine is starting & iddling fine but spits clouds of white smoke and loses power on acceleration, still after putting in new fuel filter.
After inspecting rear engine while running, oil ish black liquid runs down the intake from drivers side before and out of turbo into the
Would anyone be able to help out with directions ? Is there a way i can be sure between head gasket fail and o-rings fail or i just have to pray for it to be the o rings if i start putting my hands in
Smoke would be blue ish if the injector cups were involved, is that right ? At worse rhe smoke gets a little gray but is mostely white. Could fuel/oil mix do that ? Not sure also what a missfire sounds exactely like.
Thanks for any help
M@tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:09 AM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Hey folks, M@tt posted his the above in its own thread, here.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #66

Cat 3126 running rough, some white smoke at the start

Have cat 3126b. 140k miles. Week ago it started running rough and loosing speed. I have boost pressure sensor installed and running up to 19 psi. Normally 10psi.
Makes noise like one cylinder/injector is not working and you can hear it more at the lower speed around 25mph.
Oil pressure is running high. 40-50 psi at Isle and going over 50 on higher speed. Sometimes it will drop down to 25psi when let off gas pedal after driving with engine worm.
Before rough running started idled at 25psi.
Today first time after seating all night I had a problem starting and blew white smoke then it stopped but still coming out barely white at higher rpm.
Please need advice
Nickgeo is offline   Reply With Quote