Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Rated Cap: 78
Here is the link to the place I found to clean and test the injectors.

Injector Testing & Cleaning Services

Big11beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #22

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Too bad your engine is not mechanical. For $35 you could buy new factory reman injectors.

1823761RX91 International DT466P Fuel Injector DT466 | eBay

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #23
Skoolie

I would have loved a mechanical DT466. I just couldn't get my hands on one that was worth what they were asking.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Just for the heck of it. Check your air filter for restrictions or just real darn dirty.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wauto View Post
Just for the heck of it. Check your air filter for restrictions or just real darn dirty.
That would be black smoke but still worth checking.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Any luck yet?
keep us posted .
gbstewart
Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 AM   #27
Skoolie

I was away for work the last week and a half. I'll be sure to post an update.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #28
Skoolie

Uhg. Still haven't pulled these injectors. I pulled the valve cover to find that the injector is under the cam shaft. It doesn't look like it will come up without pulling the cam. Has anyone ever sent fluids in for testing. I wonder if the can find diesel in the oil. To be sure. Here is my other issue with bring it to a shop. Nearest shop is 20miles away in the capital city and the bus can't be registered until it can be changed to an RV.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big11beard View Post
Has anyone ever sent fluids in for testing. I wonder if the can find diesel in the oil.
I have a few times, and yes it should show if there is a significant amount of fuel dilution.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I know it's a late post but,

I had the same issue with my '98 3126B. The problem with mine was a worn cylinder due to the injector not firing. The guy who owned it before me ran it for quite some time dry because there was no fuel running into it to keep it lubed, so it scratched the cylinder sleeve, and I had serious blow by.

Mechanic told me he could rebuild it, but he would only do so by rebuilding the whole motor to a tune of $9000. I bought a used motor out of a wrecked school bus for $4600 including shipping.

That was last July. Hopefully I will get it back in the next few weeks. (I learned to never tell an Alabama diesel mechanic to take your time getting it together!!)

But now I have a newer motor with less miles on it and I have the original one to rebuild on my own to make my money back. (Not to mention, 5 back up injectors that cost $300 each and some accessories I can sell on ebay!!!)

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big11beard View Post
Uhg. Still haven't pulled these injectors. I pulled the valve cover to find that the injector is under the cam shaft. It doesn't look like it will come up without pulling the cam. Has anyone ever sent fluids in for testing. I wonder if the can find diesel in the oil. To be sure. Here is my other issue with bring it to a shop. Nearest shop is 20miles away in the capital city and the bus can't be registered until it can be changed to an RV.
We are talking about the electronic 3126b here, with the hydraulic injectors, right? If so, I pulled these on mine, and while not the easiest job, it certainly isn't that bad. They are not under the camshaft, as it is a pushrod engine, and the cam is in the block, they are to the left of the rocker shaft if you're looking at the front of the engine. Check out my build thread for a vague guide on how to do this. All you need to pull to remove them is the valve cover and the breather / hose that is on top of it, and push aside any wiring or hoses in the way. Each injector is held down by 2 allen bolts, I believe 4.5mm. You will want allen sockets like this:

Unplug the injectors. Undo the 2 bolts, being very careful not to drop them down into the engine, have a long skinny magnet tool handy. On one of the bolts (I believe the side closer to the rocker shaft) there are weird looking metal things on the bolts, take those out too. They are some sort of oil deflector. Once those are out, there are hold-down plates attached to the top of the injectors (but under the wiring connectors). They will appear loose but will not come off.

These are the injectors (assuming we are talking about the same engine). You can see the oil deflector things on the long bolts to the right of the injectors.

To "pop out" the injectors (because they will be in there pretty good) I took a standard L-shaped allen wrench, and used it as a mini pry bar between the hold-down plate on the injectors and the cast cylinder head, being careful not to disturb valve springs or wiring or anything else in there. I think I took a small metal tube and put it over the allen for leverage.

Like so:

So picture the square being pried as the injector hold-down plate, and you're doing this on the rear-side of the injector, so the left side of the square being pried is the front of the engine and where the pry bar is is the rear. Push firmly but slowly and it should pop up a half inch or so and be loose enough to pull out. But be VERY CAREFUL not to hit the tip of the injector against anything when pulling it out, and during transport, as the tips are very precise and are damaged easily, and if damaged the whole injector is useless.

The shop should be able to supply and replace the O rings for you. Navistar / Ford T444e / Powerstroke 7.3 engines as well as DT466e motors used the same / similar injectors so it is pretty common. I had mine tested and 2 were performing poorly, and were $125 each for reman. With new O rings, 2 reman injectors and testing was $550.

CAT sells 2 wire brushes with specific diameters to clean carbon out of the 2 sizes of bores in the head, and while not necessary to use their brushes it is real convenient. Then you take this scotchbrite pad-like stuff and I put it in between some surgical locking plier things like this:

And you scuff up the whole bore to sort of "hone" it and get the crap off of it. Then I would wipe the whole bore out with a lint-free rag or towel on these forceps.

When reinstalling, you want new allen bolts as they are torque to yield. You need to use a vacuum pump or something similar (shop vac with a small tube attached maybe?) to suck out oil / fuel out of the cylinders as it spills in when you remove the injectors, and that can hydro lock the engine and break something if you try to start it with that in it. Then I was told to dip the injector in new motor oil (like the part below the hold-down plate, don't dip the connector part) and then push it into the bore, making sure it seats properly.

This is the abridged version. PM me for CAT repair manuals, specs and part numbers, or my phone # if you want me to walk you through it. It is a bit of a pain to do but doable.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #32

I have had a bad turbo on a car blow white smoke before as well. It was on a late 80's Volvo. That vehicle seemed to drive well and only a small amount of power loss but when that turbo first started going bad, it poured white smoke like the whole thing was about to blow.
lakesidelife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Make sure as you are taking the injectors out you keep track of which hole they were in.

They may all look the same but they aren't.

You will never get the engine to idle smoothly if the last injector isn't in the last hole. It has special "instructions" built into it that communicate with the brain box. If it isn't in the right hole the "timing" will be off for good idling.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #34
Skoolie

Thank you PorkChop! That is a great procedure you have there. I'll Keep you all posted. I think I am finally going to dig in to this today. I got a CAT service manual for my 1WM 3126 Engine at liberatemanuals.com. Now I can feel confident that if it turns out to be more then an injector I can just keep digging.

Also, thank you again Cowlitz. If the injector needs to be replaced or rebuilt does it need to be re calibrated? Or are they calibrated to piston position?

I had found a Youtube video on removing 3126B injectors but those were not in the same position as mine are in the photo bellow. The injector is under that rocker arm.

hmm... having trouble attaching photo...
Old 09-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #35
Skoolie

And I certainly hope it is not a scratched cylinder wall because I only need 5k - 7k miles out of this engine.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #36
Skoolie

Alright. Well I am going to have to remove the rocker arm assembly in order to pull these injectors. Installation looks to be a standard valve lash adjustment. Anyone know how difficult it is to turn the engine into TDC?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Anyone know how difficult it is to turn the engine into TDC?]
Assuming the rockers are still on, turn the engine until rockers on #6cylinder are just starting to rock. One just closing the other just starting to open, that's TDC on #1. Works on any inline 6. If you want EXACT TDC, that's a different story, wouldn't think you would need that for what you're doing.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #38
Skoolie

Well that was way easier then I was making it out to be in my head. The rocker arm assembly comes off without needing to change the adjustment. the adjustment pin rides on top of the push rod. I just made sure to mark all 6 assemblies so they are adjusted correctly. You will all have to forgive me for this being my first push rod engine. All my experiences in the past have been have been with dual over head cam engines.

On Injector #5 the bushing/ring around the tip came out broken and cooked to the side of the injector tip. All the others didn't come out of the injector well.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #39
Skoolie

Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #40
Skoolie