Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Myself
Chassis: Gmc/bluebird
Engine: Cat 3126 190hp Allison 545
3126 cross country

Thinking of new injectors as maintenance but I don’t really know when cat calls for this. Also new piston rings would be smart if I want to keep going well past 300000miles, right now I’m at 208000. That being said I couldn’t be happier with my 3126 that has brought my 2000 gmc/bluebird across this fine country 4 times now. We have had no on the road issues so far and we’ve been crushing for about a year and a half. Oil change and filters every 3000 or so and new belts, all oil leaks cured, should keep you on the road for a while. Any thoughts on preventative maintenance?

Johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Buses
Chassis: FS-65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 66/44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymac View Post
Thinking of new injectors as maintenance but I don’t really know when cat calls for this. Also new piston rings would be smart if I want to keep going well past 300000miles, right now I’m at 208000. That being said I couldn’t be happier with my 3126 that has brought my 2000 gmc/bluebird across this fine country 4 times now. We have had no on the road issues so far and we’ve been crushing for about a year and a half. Oil change and filters every 3000 or so and new belts, all oil leaks cured, should keep you on the road for a while. Any thoughts on preventative maintenance?
Just got back from doing a cross country trip with mine. I changed a bad injector and did the oil pump gasket and o rings as well as an oil change but that's all the maintenance I did. It wasn't in the greatest of shape, given that oil pressure ran 22psi idle 33psi over 1500rpm. However It did 5000 miles with no issues. They're tough engines that last a while especially with good oil

If you haven't already send out an oil sample to Blackstone. Most mechanics I've talked to say injector o rings go around 300,000 miles so you could definitely do them. Keep in kind that the TTY bolts for each injector are $8 and $36 each respectively
Ab01ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'm a fan of having parts on hand before you need them, but I won't prematurely replace a working part. If the injectors are doing their job, I would pick up a spare or two in case they act up on the road. They won't all just die at once. Your opinions may differ from mine of course.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I'm a fan of having parts on hand before you need them, but I won't prematurely replace a working part. If the injectors are doing their job, I would pick up a spare or two in case they act up on the road. They won't all just die at once. Your opinions may differ from mine of course.
Have you priced out a cat injector? Also without access to cat et you cant even figure out which one failed.

When an injector goes, you'll know. The injectors themselves do fail, but the o ring seal or injector cup failure it far more common
Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab01ns View Post
Have you priced out a cat injector? Also without access to cat et you cant even figure out which one failed.

When an injector goes, you'll know. The injectors themselves do fail, but the o ring seal or injector cup failure it far more common
Compared to replacing them all today, throwing one in the toolbox is a bargain. Fair point about figuring out which one is bad. Depending on how it fails you can use an infrared thermometer to find the cold exhaust header of a cylinder not firing.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Compared to replacing them all today, throwing one in the toolbox is a bargain. Fair point about figuring out which one is bad. Depending on how it fails you can use an infrared thermometer to find the cold exhaust header of a cylinder not firing.
Not necessarily. You can have an injector that works fine under load but not at idle, or one that fails under high actuation pressure.

Without cat et you really are just guessing

A much better use of money would be new injector o rings, new injector hold down bolts and maybe even new injector cups if you were up for a challenge. These are known failure points and are relatively inexpensive, in the grand scheme of things