Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
3208 expert? Won't fire.

I'm talking to a fellow about a 1979 bus with a non-turbo 3208. It has sat for a year, and now it won't fire.

He says a mechanic -- qualifications unknown -- said he needs a new injection pump. But the seller also says he had that rebuilt a year ago.

I'm thinking fuel and filters... green gunk and such.

How difficult are these to prime?

Other thoughts?

No need to warn me about the 3208 in general. I would probably repower this beast later.

Appreciate all tips!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:15 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

The 3208 had a really expensive injection pump that requires special tools to service. Part of the reason why I was not sorry to see the last of mine go down the road.

If it is an RE bus, on the top of the engine on the curbside there should be a manual pump to prime the injection pump. It should be part of one of the fuel filter assemblies. I got tired of having to use the manual pump on one of my buses so I put an inline electric pump to prime and augment the standard lift pump. For some reason that bus would lose prime for no apparent reason and would require priming before it would start again.

With the hand pump you should be able to get fuel to the injection pump.

As you are standing there looking at the engine, at the top of the engine there should be a solenoid that operates the kill switch. In the run position the solenoid arm is retracted. In the stop position it pushes down on the fuel shut off inside the injection pump. If that solenoid quits working in the off position the engine will not start. If it quits working in the on position the engine will not shut off.

Steps to check:
  • Is there enough fuel in the tank?
  • Is there fuel getting to the injection pump?
  • Is the injection pump turning on?
  • While the engine is cranking loosen one of the injector lines to see if any fuel is getting out to the injectors. No fuel tells you one thing. Really squirting fuel tells you something else.
Other than that, I have nothing.

Good luck!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
There's a small tube, I think coming from near the hand pump. It's on top of the engine, and has a small needle valve attatched. Pump the hand pump 'til it's pretty firm, and bleed that little needle valve until no air comes out. This is not really necessary, the 3208 self primes. If the lift pump is worn, could be causing your problems. Possible the injection part was rebuilt but not the lift part? I put a small pump meant for a reefer near the tank. I think that pump is rated to lift 10'. Before that the bus had erratic loss of power, at times maxing out at 15 mph. She's back up to 65 on the flats again!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek

This is wonderful info. It confirms the basics, and adds useful details.

The last two years, on the first start-up each spring, MIllicent had fuel supply trouble. 2015 -- green gunk in primary filter. 2016 -- lift pump. Luckily, that's well within my skill range.

But I forgot about the solenoid turning the fuel on for the injection pump -- because I scrapped that solenoid years ago on Millicent. Now I simply pull and push a cable -- like an old-fashioned choke cable.

By the way, the prospective purchase in question is front engine, flat front.

I'm thinking I should bring an electric pump and all manner of hoses, so I can force feed her with the electric pump.

By the way, again... when I bought Millicent, she would slowly but sure lose prime as she sat parked. Turned out to be the fuel return hose from the injection pump. Fuel molecules did not get out, but air molecules did seep in. The fuel supply hoses may have contributed, but the return hose made the main difference -- which make sense, since it is on top of the engine in all that heat.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
One other thing to watch is the throttle rod seal. Symptoms are loss of power, white smoke, loss of prime, stalling on deceleration and the big one- fuel in the valley between the valve covers, which is a fire hazard! Wanderlodgeownersgroup.com has some write ups on replacement. I used their perts list and text and got a local retired diesel mechanic to do mine. The wanderlodge folks is where I got info on an assist pump; a lot of them have had that issue. For those who don't know, the Wanderlodge was a factory converted Bluebird skoolie! Some were also coach based.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Thanks! That's precicely the sort of 3208-specific info I'm looking for.

And the vehicle in question is indeed a Wanderlodge.

I tried to join the Wanderlodge forum years ago, and they had a computer bug of some sort that "refused" to activate my account. The Admin was all over it, and it still would not work. So I gave up.
Maybe I should try again, with a different e-mail address.

Of course, I can still read the forum -- just not ask questions or otherwise participate. Kind'a forgot about it though....

Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #7

Did you get this running?
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Have not pursued it for the time being. The occasion to travel down there on other business has not come together. And quotes for towing it home -- if we bought it and failed to start it -- were outta-dis-World.
Traveled in the opposite direction instead, and bought a 1994 BB TC-2000 that runs like a top.
But thanks all, for the good stuff I learned about the 3208. May use it yet.