Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 6
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
urgent - PS fluidresevoir is where?

hi all

2005 FE thomas cat C7 with air brakes

i'll take my lumps later on this but my PS is out and i dont know where to put the fluid. under the behind the front driverside panel are two plastic resevoirs, one clearly marked wiper fluid and the other unmarked but containing a small amount of a reddish fluid. i did not take picture of this.

the other unmarked resevoir is pictured in the two images. upper left hand side of one, closeup in the other.

can someone PLEASE tell me where the power steering fluid goes, and/or what is pictured and what is next to the windshield wiper resevoir in the front of the bus.

can someone tell me if it is dangerous to drive, in terms of damaging the engine or belt, without power steering?

air compressor still works

a thousand thank-yous

evan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3581.JPG (108.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3587.JPG (131.1 KB, 12 views)
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 349
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Sorry I can't answer your question, but IF you run it out of PS fluid then you will burn up the PS pump if you let it go very long. If the brakes are not air brakes and you have hydro brake setup you will lose brake function as well as normally the PS pump drives the brakes on a non-air brake setup.
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,293
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
That bottom pic is the ps reservoir. Its red because its Dex 3 tranny fluid.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 6
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That bottom pic is the ps reservoir. Its red because its Dex 3 tranny fluid.
THANKS!

just to be sure i understand, the black cannister with two tops is the p.s.res, right? i bet the small one is a dipstick.

i posted a pic of it along with the mystery resevoir next to the windshield wiper fluid.

the black 'cannister' is driver's side rear corner (of engine) under the engine cover, and the other two are inside the driver side 'access hatch' just above the headlight. Is the one next to the wiper fluid the transmission fluid?

i bet they both take Dex 3 dont they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3609.JPG (101.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3587.JPG (131.1 KB, 2 views)
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,293
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The bottom pic. The canister with the dipstick and the lid. That's the PS reservoir.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 6
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The bottom pic. The canister with the dipstick and the lid. That's the PS reservoir.
Thanks to you i'll sleep better tonight, that is after some dex 3.
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 6
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlthe View Post
Thanks to you i'll sleep better tonight, that is after some dex 3.
i tried my darndest to get that dipstick out... no joy. the larger screw-top has a filter inside. if i were to pour the fluid into the large hole... any idea how much i should put in?

There is a handle shown in the picture with the words 'easy grip' on it, adjacent to the dipstick, does anyone know what that is? I circled it in white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_3587_LI.jpg (1,007.3 KB, 6 views)
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:35 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: fresno
Posts: 46
Year: Gill
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 636 c.i. CAT V8
Rated Cap: 33,700 GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlthe View Post
hi all

2005 FE thomas cat C7 with air brakes

i'll take my lumps later on this but my PS is out and i dont know where to put the fluid. under the behind the front driverside panel are two plastic resevoirs, one clearly marked wiper fluid and the other unmarked but containing a small amount of a reddish fluid. i did not take picture of this.

the other unmarked resevoir is pictured in the two images. upper left hand side of one, closeup in the other.

can someone PLEASE tell me where the power steering fluid goes, and/or what is pictured and what is next to the windshield wiper resevoir in the front of the bus.

can someone tell me if it is dangerous to drive, in terms of damaging the engine or belt, without power steering?

air compressor still works

a thousand thank-yous

evan
"my PS is out" What do you mean by "OUT?"

Your Thomas probably has a massive hydraulic pump to run your PS and cooling fan. Just follow the lines/hoses from fan back to pump.

If you get stuck call me. Patrick 559 251-3814 or 559 513-9369

Or wheelchairbusproject at yahoo dot com

This is an easy one, don't sweat it.
__________________
patrick Young
Wheelchair project
Fresno, CA
(559) 244-1042
(559) 251-3814
mailto:WheelchairBusProject@yahoo.com
http://fresnoalliance.com/WheelchairProject
Gilligs/Crowns and Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 6
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligs/Crowns and Parts View Post
"my PS is out" What do you mean by "OUT?"

Your Thomas probably has a massive hydraulic pump to run your PS and cooling fan. Just follow the lines/hoses from fan back to pump.

If you get stuck call me. Patrick 559 251-3814 or 559 513-9369

Or wheelchairbusproject at yahoo dot com

This is an easy one, don't sweat it.
Thanks Patrick

I mean the steering was acting as if it were manual. from what i could tell there was no irregular noise coming from pump. Last night i added around 1.5 qt ATF to the resevoir (thank you EastCoastCB) indicated and the PS resumed functioning, though I didnt road-test it.

Diesels are new (and i'm not too proud to admit also somewhat intimidating so far) to me, especially this FE Transit style in a bus that is new to me. I knew my way around my '72 Intl 392 to some extent. I just hope the learning curve isnt to damaging or expensive.

If you dont mind I'll save your number, thanks for the offer to talk. You may hear from me before too long (i have some wheelchair questions too). I'm just getting settled in a new place and will begin work in earnest on the bus this week.

I've attached pic of fan, it appears to run from serpentine, and i need to add separate belt to the a/c compressor also pictured (how, I have no idea).

Take care

Evan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fanpic.JPG (83.7 KB, 3 views)
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Posts: 220
Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
On my rear engine Thomas the power steering reservoir is in the back and it uses motor oil. Of course I checked the level before I set off on my maiden voyage, or at least I wanted to check the level. unfortunately the dipstick. Unfortunately the dipstick was detached from the from the cap. Thanks for reminding me of this issue. Glad you found out where yours is.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×