Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #1

WE ARE STRANDED: Blue bird 3208 CAT brakelines burst

we are on our maiden long distance voyage with our family and everything packet up in this thing and the brakelines burst. the pressure regulator valve for the compressor blew which made the brakes and a line blew; we are literally stranded with $40 to our name to get this figured out, after being forced to pay for a $150 tow 1/2 mile to a kind stranger's house.

does anyone know the best place to get a pressure regulator valve for the cheapest price ??

does anyone have any experience with this ??

our engine also runs hot at 210 and we cannot figure it out. engine was rebuilt. my hubs thinks the pump was running overtime and it's making the engine run hotter. he is mechanically inclined but has little experience with school busses or air breaks

we are in a bad situation and we're in transit to WORK, which we are desperate for, when this happened. Anyone anywhere near Perry Georgia ??

MsNovaturient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

more info on bus

pressure gauges were running really high on this thing when it happened, we had no idea that was a bad thing. hubs thinks it's the pressure regulator valve
MsNovaturient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Most likely the governor is stuck, not kicking the compressor off. They'll rust and seize up inside. I'll see that from time to time when people don't run a dryer and never drain the air tanks. No idea on cheapest price but they are able to be rebuilt if you have the tools and are mechanically inclined. Which hose did you blow? Most are nylon, but the one between the compressor and dryer can sometimes be braided with AN fittings.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
air and temperature are unrelated systems in the bus. you have 2 problems.

Im not sure what air regulator you are talking about.

the air pressure should be like 80-125 range.

a broken air line is an easy fix, that just takes a little brass ferule. an air governor (about $30) is the first part i'd replace.

what is it doing? you have 0 psi air now? or its stuck at 125+ and the they air drier is venting. it the air drier is venting too much, you have an air leak somewhere.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lets hope the temperature is unrelated.. in my red bus when my governor stuck (it froze because of no air dryer in winter and ruined my gauge).. my compressor head cracked under the extra high pressure and started pumping air into the coolant and caused all my coolant to be lost...

its tough on $40 since you are dealing with brakes.. the governors can be taken apart and sometimes cleaned... but usually need replaced..

most common governor
https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Governo.../dp/B005458FYY

the line will need cut and spliced back together or replaced altogether.. if its a nylon line that burst you may be able to get the ferrel and new fittings at home depot.. im thinking its a 1/2 inch ID line on most. (someone else may be able to help with correct size)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Even if the air governor failed, the air dryer should have a pressure relief valve on it. My Bendix AD-9 dryer has a small fitting about 2" long sticking out near the bottom, and it should prevent over-pressuring hoses or worse - do you have one on your dryer?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Even if the air governor failed, the air dryer should have a pressure relief valve on it. My Bendix AD-9 dryer has a small fitting about 2" long sticking out near the bottom, and it should prevent over-pressuring hoses or worse - do you have one on your dryer?

John
There are multiple relief valves in the system. Should be one on the wet tank, one on the compressor head,and one on the dryer. I've seen on trucks where the governor never kicks out, and the compressor continuously pumping hot air through the first nylon line can get hot enough and weaken that line and cause it to burst.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

What does an "air governor" do?

From the pic on Amazon, it's not a pressure regulator at all. Does it split brake air front/rear, apportioning pressure as needed? Or something else?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

No, it's a governor. It tells the compressor to turn on at a set psi, and turn off at a set psi. It's what controls the compressor. So if your compressor builds too much air pressure, this is what is wrong 99% of the time. In a sense, it regulates pressure, but it doesn't look like your typical pressure regulators.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I am North of Atlanta but am heading to Florida very soon. As in, tonight. PM me and I'll pass along my email info (I won't have access to the website while traveling but do have email).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I am North of Atlanta but am heading to Florida very soon. As in, tonight. PM me and I'll pass along my email info (I won't have access to the website while traveling but do have email).
This is wonderful! I hope it all works out.
Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote