Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2002 Cummins 24v

Can a some kind folks give me some feedback on a 02 24v Cummins in a Thomas bus ... ie .. If you have this motor , how is it , I've always thought the Cummins motors to be very good , but after surfing the web it seems the 24v could give injection pump problems ...
What have you experienced with your 24v ..
I've located a Thomas FE 5.9 that might just be our right bus ,, but want feedback on the motor .

Thanks

TheHobbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: 2002 Cummins 24v

go to cummins forumn dot com
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Bansil... I've looked through the Cummins forums & that's why I'm asking people here that have a 5.9 cummins powered bus... how do you find your unit & have you had any problems ?
You see!!!!!

Frodo
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Bus Geek

mines old skool 12v and I like it, of course an 8.3 would be better

Drove around all day yesterday and the remove exhaust thing really mad a difference in maintaining speed up hills and the mileage seemed better just by looking at gage, we drove 180 miles or so
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

If it has a VP44 injection pump, I've heard that they have caused problems. My 2 Cummins were common rail. They came after the VP44.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Crazy
Maybe it a over reaction on my side , but I research everything as must as poss before parting with $$ ...
I been reading about the killer dowel pins & it seems some of the 24v 5.9s can have injection pump issues due to low fuel pressure .
I run to ford f350s for work ,,, a 99 7.3 that shows 500k & still runs very well .... I also have a 08 f350 with the 6.4 & I've not been happy at all with it & in fact it's getting sold .
I've always had good feedback from Cummins owners , but it seems they all have problems in one way or another .

The bus I'm looking at is a 2002 Thomas front engine 5.9 .. Deff not what I set out to buy 1 month ago , I have a dog nose located at a very good price but folks have told me I might regret as its low roof type .

Lets see I guess .... If this snow don't go away I'm never gong to get anything

Frodo
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Bus Geek

A flat nose FE is loud no if's and or not's....
As a driver it reminds be of an ole duece and 1/2 with the windows up....now as say a passenger with seat forward(and noise enhanced by stairwell it's loud.
I hope to insulate,cover and install a stairwell cover to curb the noise....me? Hell I'm fine and happy driving the girl...earplugs are not a big deal.
Mine is only loud when deep into boost powering up hills,but alais...I also compared it to a duece
My son tried to watch a movie yesterday.....I was like "dude you didn't bring head phones? this ain't no prius.....wtf"
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Bansil .....
Your beautiful Bus have air brakes ..... If so .. The easy to work on if problems arise ...

Still looking through y'all build..... Reel sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
As a driver it reminds be of an ole duece and 1/2 with the windows up....now as say a passenger with seat forward(and noise enhanced by stairwell it's loud.
I hope to insulate,cover and install a stairwell cover to curb the noise....me? Hell I'm fine and happy driving the girl...earplugs are not a big deal.
Mine is only loud when deep into boost powering up hills,but alais...I also compared it to a duece
My son tried to watch a movie yesterday.....I was like "dude you didn't bring head phones? this ain't no prius.....wtf"
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #9

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I think the VP44 was in the pickup from 98 to 02. From what I have heard, the IP is lubricated by the fuel. As soon as the lift pump goes out, the IP takes a crap. I'm sure there are ways to have redundant fuel pumps to take care of this.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbits
Hey Bansil .....
Your beautiful Bus have air brakes ..... If so .. The easy to work on if problems arise ...

Still looking through y'all build..... Reel sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
As for the brakes they are very heavy duty and if something goes wrong it's fairly easy to diagnos with diagrams etc.
As for working on them, it would be a matter of unbolting and replacing for me (I will not be taking air chambers apart...not my pay grade)

As long as water is kept out of lines and air drier is working you shouldn't have issues.

Make sure to read up on how and why air brakes work the way they do, this is very important ... safe travels

Air brakes are the only way to go in my book, I do not want to loose hydraulics on something that is this heavy, that is reason everything big and commercial has air brakes safety