Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #1

24v bus motor in my truck

I have a built 24v in my 2000 dodge truck it dynoed a little over 600 horse and the 53 block after 352k miles 30k of which at that power level decided to crack finally. I am new to this forum and don't even know if this is the kind of help you all can offer but my question is that can I put a 24v bus engine in my truck and if so will all of my components such as the built injection pump and my bigger injectors and exhaust manifold and turbo all fit on the bus engine. On top of that I have an edge juice with attitude with the CTS screen for gauges and on the fly tuning will that work with this motor? Sorry for the long and probably jumbled post but I am in a rush to get my truck back up and running and this bus engine I found is an easy fix if it will work thank you for any help you can offer.

intillect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

There really isn't much difference between the ISB 24 valve engine in a bus and the one that is in Dodge trucks.

You will need to swap all of the Dodge specific stuff over to the bus engine but other than that it should all work.

The biggest difference might be on the front of the engine with the serpentine belt and everything driven off of it. I don't know if the crank pulley is the same or not. The bus engine will be driving a much larger alternator and an air compressor which the Dodge won't have so the belt will most likely be at least a couple of ribs wider.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #3

So essentially if I just put all of my dodge stuff on there like all the sensors and injection system components then the truck won't know the difference in engine everything will be exactly as it is now except it will be a new engine?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
As long as you have both engines sitting there. There will be subtle difference between the two(valve covers, accessory mounting, thermostat outlet, etc.) but the core long block should be the same. You'll also have to swap the SAE flywheel housing out for its dodge counterpart and reuse whatever flywheel/flexplate you have on the old motor. You'll also have to swap motor mounts and the computer(or have the bus one flashed to work with the dodge pcm).

Like I said, if you have both engines out and beside each other. All you essentially have to do is swap the parts off the dodge engine that don't look identical to the ones on the bus engine.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Thank you so much that is what I was thinking that anything I needed would be able to be swapped from my old motor that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
One more thing, try and keep the years the same. There is a mid generation change on how the computer picks up the timing. The crankshaft and cam gear will be different between the two. It happened around like 2000 or 2001. So if the truck is an 03 try and find a bus that has an 03 engine. Also keep the injection style the same as well. VP44 to VP44, Common rail to Common rail, don't try vp44 to common rail and vice versa.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Yeah my truck and the bus are both a 2000 and everything I need computer wise or anything wise really I can pull off my cracked block engine
Old 01-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
If you wind up with another 53 block are going with big HP again?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #9

The plan is to stay as far from a 53 block as possible lol the bus engine I am going to look at isn't a 53 thank goodness
Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #10

How did this conversion work out for you?
jasonhotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote