Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CSFE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 25
5.9 Cummins

I have a 2002 Bluebird CSFE 2409 transit style bus. It has the 5.9 cummins ISB with the Allison 545 tranny. When I start it up cold it has an odd habit of ramping up the rpms on it's own and also sounds funny, almost like a compressor knock sound. If you kick the throttle it will idle down. However it will ramp back up on it's own in a few minutes. The knocking sound goes away after the first time. It is not the compressor that is knocking. I checked. It will continue to ramp up the idle until it decides it is warm enough no matter how many times you kick it down with the throttle. The colder it is the more it does it. I have tried to overide it with high idle switch, but it will shutdown the high idle and ramp up on it's own sometimes. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before or knew something about it. The bus has low miles and is in good shape overall. It starts very easy and smokes only a tiny bit until it starts to warm up. It has good power when driving so I do not believe it is a big deal. I was just curious thats all.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if these engines have a computer in them it may be a programmed warm-up operation..

I know in my international 444E, the option exists for a controlled temperature cycle in which if I dont drive the bus right away or set a high idle speed.. (on IHC the cruise control is used to set idle speed).. then it will slowlty idle itself up to maintain a pre-set coolant temperature... I have mine set at 165 i think...

if I stop and idle the bus with all the heaters on in cold weather, the idle will come up when it cools itself down so it can maintain that temp..

its programmable on IHC.. perhaps cummins has a similar programmable setting
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CSFE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 25
I had thought of that. It behaves much like my Subaru does when it is cold. I had seen this in many gas engines, but never in any diesels I have driven. It is full of electronics. I have crawled all around under and in the engine compartment and was amazed with all the electronic stuff on this bus. I read somewhere that these small diesels could not exist if there were no electronics to make them work. Anyway, thank you for the input. Much appreciated.