Theres an old saying that goes,, "Speed cost money how fast do you want to go"
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
Bus Nut
Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
1mpg! LOL

Of course the capability to do 85 and the routine habit of doing 85 are two very different things. Besides as mentioned above about the ability to stop a large vehicle traveling 85mph is the handling and comfort at that speed. For one thing, these buses are not in the furthest stretch of the imagination aerodynamically designed and the wind resistance at that speed is formidable. There's also cross wind which high profile vehicles are very susceptible... You haven't had a real come-to-jesus moment until you've been driving a large vehicle and encounter unexpected cross wind. If you're not being vigilant and just driving like many drive a car (10% attention) you'll end up rolled over in a ditch or worse. Plus the buffeting makes for a less than quiet and comfortable ride. Besides all of that, fuel economy does drop about an estimated 10% for every 5mph over 55 anyways so running that speed and rpm is probably not going to be the routine even if it is nice to know it's possible.

Come to Jesus moment; to this day (almost two months later) i still have a stomache drop when i think about the ride home when at about 50mph on a tight two lane road, i nearly went into the ditch. Oh goodness that wouldn't have been pretty. I am comfortable at 55. I know i can stop, react, and the great thing about a bus is drivers dont try and bully me out of the way lol.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #13
Bus Nut
Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
63 is good with me. from what i read diesels have an rpm sweet spot. a front tire blowout would be disasterous at high speeds, enjoy the drive and be good to your drive train.
living in a bus down by the river
superdave is online now   Reply With Quote