Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I promise you, it has injectors.

Whoever told you it doesn't... do not listen to anything else they say.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
One more FYI item: in general, don't use starting fluid with a diesel engine unless you're really sure the electric starting aid is disabled.

So far as I'm aware virtually all Cummins engines are equipped with a "grid heater" built into the intake. That's a stack of heating elements that glow red hot through which the intake air flows. It's often powered for a few seconds up to 30 seconds together with some kind of "wait to start" lamp on the dash. When the timer expires or key is turned to start the grid heater is shut off, but it may still be hot enough to ignite starter spray right there in the intake. Intakes aren't built for combustion pressure of course and are prone to explode. Some applications continue to cycle the grid heater after the engine has started until the engine coolant rises above some temperature, or until the vehicle reaches a certain road speed.

Other engines are often equipped with "glow plugs." Those extend directly into the cylinders, like a spark plug. I believe there's a hazard with using starting spray on glow plug equipped engines too, but I'm not familiar with the theory of mis-operation there and so can't describe it.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #13
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
One more FYI item: in general, don't use starting fluid with a diesel engine unless you're really sure the electric starting aid is disabled.

So far as I'm aware virtually all Cummins engines are equipped with a "grid heater" built into the intake. That's a stack of heating elements that glow red hot through which the intake air flows. It's often powered for a few seconds up to 30 seconds together with some kind of "wait to start" lamp on the dash. When the timer expires or key is turned to start the grid heater is shut off, but it may still be hot enough to ignite starter spray right there in the intake. Intakes aren't built for combustion pressure of course and are prone to explode. Some applications continue to cycle the grid heater after the engine has started until the engine coolant rises above some temperature, or until the vehicle reaches a certain road speed.

Other engines are often equipped with "glow plugs." Those extend directly into the cylinders, like a spark plug. I believe there's a hazard with using starting spray on glow plug equipped engines too, but I'm not familiar with the theory of mis-operation there and so can't describe it.

None of the 6CTA motors I have use glow plugs/grid heaters and they have ether injection. Not saying it isn't possible, but I have not seen.

Fuel gauge may be faulty. Says 1/4 tank, might be wrong- you could be empty. On the driver side of the block is the lift pump, has a black or red rubber boot to prime motor- push it -is firm- many times until you can hear fuel squishing through. Much cheaper than replacing your starter, which you will toast if you keep cranking.

If it runs on ether, is probably fuel issue. Check solenoid, same side of engine, may be bad or stuck. You can zip tie to test, but you will need it to shut motor off.

Follow fuel lines from tank- look for leak/wet spot, if fuel is coming out, air is getting in. Air=no start.

Orange can in pic is ether, little red dot at ~10:00 from ether bottle below green bracket w zip tie is lift primer. Yours will be a bit different, rear engine

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8.3, bus, cummins 8.3, liverdisease