Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Air Intake

Ok let see if I make sense, The stack on the right is the air intake it is a 5in dia tube & it's 8ft long to the intake side of the air cleaner, at idle theres enough vacuum at the opening to suck your hand in, The opening on the right side is where a screen goes for ventilation, I removed it & the airfilter canister to do some work inside & in the other pic is the intake tube from the airfilter to the turbo that is a 5 &1/2 in tube, when idling there was little if no vacuum there.

Now my question, what if I changed the intake side to where it draws from the screen area? that would shorten the draw from 8ft to 18in. I could also mount a airscoop so it sticks slightly into the airstream, plus since I have removed the muffler I could install a Y pipe off the turbo & run dual 4in pipes for exhaust up my two stacks.

My thinking is less work getting air into the motor by not having to draw thru 8ft of pipe & less exhaust restriction which in my mind would at least help in lowering EGT temps. Thoughts? Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0315.jpg   IMG_0314.jpg   IMG_0313.jpg  

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Must be some serious thinking going on
Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Idk, I mean I'd leave it. It looks badass, and apparently the design and engineering of those Crowns is second to none.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Idk, I mean I'd leave it. It looks badass, and apparently the design and engineering of those Crowns is second to none.
Far as looks go both stacks would stay, far as engineering goes the midship Crowns had their intakes down low under the bus.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I really don't see anything wrong here. Sticking your hand over the inlet will always draw your hand in. Try doing it to the turbo inlet pipe at the air filter and you'll experience the same thing. If you're wanting dual stacks for aesthetic purposes, then go for it. But a straight piece of 5 in. pipe flows quite a bit of air. It's the bends that always slow down air movement, so I don't think you'll see any kind of egt or mpg improvement from it.

One thing I did notice is the straight cut exhaust without some sort of rain cap on it. If crowns are supposed to be so well engineered, I can't believe they'd do something like that. I'd thought they would at least put a bend in it or something.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I really don't see anything wrong here. Sticking your hand over the inlet will always draw your hand in. Try doing it to the turbo inlet pipe at the air filter and you'll experience the same thing. If you're wanting dual stacks for aesthetic purposes, then go for it. But a straight piece of 5 in. pipe flows quite a bit of air. It's the bends that always slow down air movement, so I don't think you'll see any kind of egt or mpg improvement from it.

One thing I did notice is the straight cut exhaust without some sort of rain cap on it. If crowns are supposed to be so well engineered, I can't believe they'd do something like that. I'd thought they would at least put a bend in it or something.
Originally there was only one pipe on the right & it had a cap & that is the intake, exhaust ran out the bumper, plan is to mount scoops on the pipes to force air down between the exhaust pipes & outer stacks, exhaust will turn out the back
Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I really don't see anything wrong here. Sticking your hand over the inlet will always draw your hand in. Try doing it to the turbo inlet pipe at the air filter and you'll experience the same thing. .
Actually no, thats what I'm getting at, at the intake of the 8ft pipe there is a lot of suction, at the pipe just a few feet from the turbo there is very little suction .Plus there won't be 5in exhaust I'm looking at 3 &1/2 in to 4 in exhuast inside the 5in tubes
Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
You will gain nothing by removing the 8 feet of pipe before the intake.

A bus is far too heavy to feel if the turbo spools a half a second sooner or not.

I would rather have the fresh, dust free air of the intake on the top, or mounted high.

IMO the engine air intake should be in front of the rear wheels. Drawing air from the front of the bus would be best.

All our rear pushers at the shop take air from high on the passenger side, where the last window would normally be.
On buses that travel dirt road routs, we have to blow the filters out every week at minimum.

Once we own buses for personal, we can make great changes. As long as a bus here is still carrying children, we can not move things like air intakes.
If we could, every rear engine bus here would have a 6 inch pipe running from the engine all the way to the front of the bus.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What pipe doesn't have suction? The one in the 2nd picture where the air filter goes to, or are you talking about the one with the capped end in the 2nd pic?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Well don't I feels silly, discovered today that the reason I didn't have suction on the 5 &1/2 pipe is because who ever installed the pipe on the turbo didn't install a clamp { NOT ME} so with my fiddling with the air cleaner it came off and I didn't relies it until I discovered it today.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

All our rear pushers at the shop take air from high on the passenger side, where the last window would normally be.
On buses that travel dirt road routs, we have to blow the filters out every week at minimum.
Nat
I'm kinda late to this party but thats my issue. Horrible place for an air inlet when you travel a lot of gravel. The dust just curls back from the bumper. Would like to find one of those air dams for the roof....maybe.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I'm kinda late to this party but thats my issue. Horrible place for an air inlet when you travel a lot of gravel. The dust just curls back from the bumper. Would like to find one of those air dams for the roof....maybe.
You should.

Well worth it.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Someone here probably has one sitting around.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
If you look at the right rear of this pic you see a white cap , thats what was on my intake originally, I could proably let it go if you think you can use it
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

But now I'm doing this
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg