Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l
Rated Cap: 72
BROKEN DOWN ON ROADSIDE... help?

Hey guys,

Just picked up my second '82 Thomas Transit Liner with a Cummings VT-225 that has left me stranded on the way home. I've located the part that's misbehaving, but I'm not sure what it is. As soon as the motor runs for a bit (and it runs like a champ), it just snaps off like turning the key. When I cool the part with a little ice water, it fires right back up and runs again for another 10-15 minutes. Fuel filter has been replaced and the diesel is good.

The part sits just on top the engine between the two banks of cylinders and has a single wire running into it. It attaches to what looks like the fuel pump (low pressure line on one side, steel line on the other)

Could this be the kill solenoid? I've seen coils go intermittent like that before, but with limited funds and a short time til I have to be at home, I need to get the right part ordered tonight. If anyone knows this, I'd be happy to take a collect call on my cell phone at 813-407-2890 sometime on the date of this post.

Thanks in advance,
zim (AKA w1bmw from a few years back on this board)

Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Re: BROKEN DOWN ON ROADSIDE... help?

OK... After reading all the way down, it sounds like the problems with my rig is definitely the kill solenoid. It looks like it's gonna be a bear to get out of there, might have to pull the plenum from the turbo and perhaps the alternator. Then, hopefully I can leave it off and hold the plunger in the run position with a pair of vice grips. So.. no phone call really needed, but if anyone has any experience to share on this, I'd be happy to read about it. I'll, of course, post what I find out.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3

That was my first thought, that solenoid. Usually, there's a way to mechanically 'rig' it to get you going again.
Good thing you got it figured out quick!
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Zim is a few miles from me. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Back at base camp, ready to get rolling again tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
Zim is a few miles from me. I'll keep y'all posted.
Yep... got the bus limped from Houston to College Station back to my starting point a couple miles at a time, so I'm back with tools and full support. Brent's been awesome to provide some good info and it sounds like we have the right part ordered from the local O'Reillys. Hope to hook up tomorrow afternoon to talk skoolies over a cool beverage to say thanks!

Will post the solution soon.

/zim
Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Rolling again!

I pulled the coil and all it does is hold a little disc back from the side of the fuel pump... give it power and it pulls the disc back. I ended up pulling the disc out and putting a 3/4" ball valve on the intake side of the fuel/water separator so I can kill the engine with a quarter turn of the valve. That should get me home without further problem. She runs great and shuts off within about 15 seconds of turning the valve. I'll post the pics when I get home.

Anyone think I'll have any issue with the teflon in the ball valve?

/zim