Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRockinRV View Post
Okay - a Cummins 12valve Forum will do you LOADS OF GOOD.
That motor can be manipulated with little money and little problems. You can grind the fuel plate and gain HP - 3000RPM Gov Spring kit... Etc (just remember HP = Life) the more you use at the pedal... I'm just saying
I ground my fuel plate only and my Bus loves it - I don't Hot Rod - I just like having the option to "Go" if I need to get past a truck dropping rocks or so...
Also... Research a thing called KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) it's a metal pin behind all of your pullies that COULD give you a broken motor.
It's an easy fix and there's even jigs available to fix it - people will mail you - you just mail them back. It's a factory metal pin inside used to line things up for assembly but on rare disastrous occasion some fall loose and get into your internal gears cracking the block~
Then you're done - and dodge has never been responsible for ONE... Though it be a factory default.
Don't get scared - it's rare but possible like the bird flu~
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRockinRV View Post
You know what - you are correct sir - '98.5 - it's been a while since I was a 12v forum guy - haha - my apologies

No I don't think any Manufacturer would ever suggest anything but their own. Hy-Gard is too affordable and better than what they offer In My Opinion - search what people are saying and make your own call - I have used it for years now and took my bus up and down the mountains (hills) of West Texas hammered down - with no issues
But definitely come to your own conclusion - it's your transmission and its a pretty important piece - Haha...
Allison actually has like 3 pages of different fluid brands they "recommend", I was just curious if you knew how Hy-Gard compared to any of those. I'll have to do some more research on that later. Good stuff!

-Dan

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #22
Bus Nut

https://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/ba...ssion_oil.page
Old 06-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Safe-T Liner MVP
Engine: 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 75

Hot Diggity Dog... Good find - I guess Hy-Gard wanted to make a statement - I've never seen John Deere put anything "out there"...

Great information - Good to see it Thanks!!!!
USMCRockinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #24

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freightshaker
Engine: Cummins 24V ISB 210
Rated Cap: 30k
One of the major issues with the early year ISB is the chance of a "53" block.. This block is very well known for having head gasket failures due to improper block casting. Dodge and Cummins both recognized the issue and offer many warranty replacement blocks in the dodge trucks as well as many commercial platforms. The block can be identified by a "53" cast into the block below the VP injection pump. My current freight shaker has a 53 block, but I'm gonna run it til it blows and then swap a non 53 block in. Most commons years affected were 99 and 00.. But the 53s made there way into as new as 01s although my 01 ISB powered dodge pick up is a non 53. Just kinda how the dice rolled I've been told by Cummins.

Just something to consider if you'll be using it as a replacement engine AND it has 200k on it.
dude_bro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_bro_ View Post
One of the major issues with the early year ISB is the chance of a "53" block.. This block is very well known for having head gasket failures due to improper block casting. Dodge and Cummins both recognized the issue and offer many warranty replacement blocks in the dodge trucks as well as many commercial platforms. The block can be identified by a "53" cast into the block below the VP injection pump. My current freight shaker has a 53 block, but I'm gonna run it til it blows and then swap a non 53 block in. Most commons years affected were 99 and 00.. But the 53s made there way into as new as 01s although my 01 ISB powered dodge pick up is a non 53. Just kinda how the dice rolled I've been told by Cummins.

Just something to consider if you'll be using it as a replacement engine AND it has 200k on it.
Damn, that's useful information!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
53 blocks will also crack underneath the ledge below the turbocharger. Core shift during block casting caused it to be thin right there (supposedly only 6mm or less). When the engine flexes against the side mounts under a load it'll create the crack. I've seen it a lot on the dodge trucks. 1998.5-1999 seemed to have the most casting problems out of all the years. Not saying to avoid it, but keep it in the back of your head.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
53 blocks will also crack underneath the ledge below the turbocharger. Core shift during block casting caused it to be thin right there (supposedly only 6mm or less). When the engine flexes against the side mounts under a load it'll create the crack. I've seen it a lot on the dodge trucks. 1998.5-1999 seemed to have the most casting problems out of all the years. Not saying to avoid it, but keep it in the back of your head.
But almost none in the buses, due to the engine mounts not being on the side of the block. Mounts are on the front, and on the trans bell housing.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote