Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Bus newbie question: what kind of trouble can I expect from a 99 Cummins ISB?

Hi all, first post! I'm contemplating picking up a 1997-99 Bluebird if the price is right. This has the Cummins ISB drivetrain, with around 200k miles on it. Is there anything I should know regarding possible mechanical issues, maintenance concerns, etc.? I don't even really have a good idea of the cost to maintain one of these things in the first place really, so anything helps!

Please don't be too hard on me...not too easy to find this kind of info on the internet!

Thanks,
Dan

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.

That's all I have time for this morning.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
Hey, at 200K miles I'd be sure to have those main seals checked! School bus mechanics always seem to talk about that being their first big job at around 120K.

While it won't be a big surprise if they leak, it would be good to know going in.

Also, i have cummins 5.9 (same size as in many dodge pickups) and often find useful information on dodge forums...
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Cummins 5.9 is a good base for a conversion....the key is to make sure the specs look good. Is it the ideal axle ratio? Transmission setup?

Also make sure you check the bus thoroughly for rust.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks guys! I'd be buying this in an auction that's out of state so I wouldn't be able to inspect closely, but it's a government auction (school district) so I suspect they're all in good shape (all listed as running/driving). I won't bid very high either, I'm not totally married to the idea, especially since I'd have to register it in Colorado since I'm a resident here until I move next year, and that could cost me another $800! Sure wish I could register it in OH or MI where my parents/in-laws live but I can't do a VIN verification if it's not actually there...

Regarding those main seals, are you talking about the rear main seal, or another one as well? I'm assuming I'll be able to see some service records on the bus to see if it's already been done.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You can have any vin verified here in fl by any notary.
My want to look into that. Maybe you know a notary!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You can have any vin verified here in fl by any notary.
My want to look into that. Maybe you know a notary!
I do probably know a notary, but most other states require VIN verification be done at a certified location of some sort...usually automotive shops and car dealerships. Sounds like you have a good deal going on in FL!

-Dan
Old 06-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
I purchased my 1998( built in 1997) tc2000 fron GSA in Baltimore, Maryland and registered it in MI and they never required a vin verification. It has the older mechanical 5.9 engine.
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
I purchased my 1998( built in 1997) tc2000 fron GSA in Baltimore, Maryland and registered it in MI and they never required a vin verification. It has the older mechanical 5.9 engine.
Interesting...searching the web doesn't produce too much that seems to confirm or deny, but it certainly doesn't look like Michigan requires VIN verifications...hmm...

-Dan
Old 06-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Site Team

CO does for sure. But if you can get it done by notary for MI, go visit your bank.

How are you figuring $800 to register here???
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
CO does for sure. But if you can get it done by notary for MI, go visit your bank.

How are you figuring $800 to register here???
Actually I think $800 is overboard...got that number off some other forum, but that may have been for a newer bus (less than 10 years old). The estimate I ran from Larimer County's website earlier only came up to $250ish. I'm in El Paso County (Colorado Springs).

-Dan
Old 06-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Site Team

That sounds more reasonable. My estimate from someone at the Boulder County clerk's office was no more than $200 for any reasonable possibility we tried. We shall see...
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
Skoolie

Yep. rear main seal also cummins seem to have a rep for oil pan leaks so check it out under there. A school system should have service records.

When we were looking, we stalked one of our more affluent districts and got to know the mechanics at the bus garage so well that they were giving us the lowdown on each bus and subtly making recommendations.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seroflorus View Post
Yep. rear main seal also cummins seem to have a rep for oil pan leaks so check it out under there. A school system should have service records.

When we were looking, we stalked one of our more affluent districts and got to know the mechanics at the bus garage so well that they were giving us the lowdown on each bus and subtly making recommendations.
Great info! I do have to ask, is either leak location something that is manageable at least to a certain point (ie can I just top off the oil)?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-26-2015, 05:05 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
is either leak location something that is manageable at least to a certain point (ie can I just top off the oil)?
I don't know about repairing the main seal part.

I guess this depends on how far gone the oil pan leak is...I've seen some dodge threads (and even youtube vids of someone replacing theirs! $20.00 filter and on PITA day) in which the narrator "finally got around to" and threads where the author had calculated how much the added oil (some with each tank of fuel) was costing.

I suppose one would have to consider the stink, amount of smoke from burning oil that lands on the exhaust pipe etc.

I have not dealt with this specifically so hopefully someone with the relevant experience will chime in and educate both of us.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:17 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Safe-T Liner MVP
Engine: 12V Cummins

Okay - a Cummins 12valve Forum will do you LOADS OF GOOD.
That motor can be manipulated with little money and little problems. You can grind the fuel plate and gain HP - 3000RPM Gov Spring kit... Etc (just remember HP = Life) the more you use at the pedal... I'm just saying
I ground my fuel plate only and my Bus loves it - I don't Hot Rod - I just like having the option to "Go" if I need to get past a truck dropping rocks or so...
Also... Research a thing called KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) it's a metal pin behind all of your pullies that COULD give you a broken motor.
It's an easy fix and there's even jigs available to fix it - people will mail you - you just mail them back. It's a factory metal pin inside used to line things up for assembly but on rare disastrous occasion some fall loose and get into your internal gears cracking the block~
Then you're done - and dodge has never been responsible for ONE... Though it be a factory default.
Don't get scared - it's rare but possible like the bird flu~
USMCRockinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #17
Skoolie

I dropped my Cummins and AT Pans and put several more Magnets in the bottom - I used the Neodymium super strong magnets... And they do collect "Metal Dust" from your fluids and help your filters a great deal~

Also - little known fact Automatic Transmissions LOVE John Deere Hy-Gard Hydraulic Fluid. There is some debate that is just opinion - facts are the guys who are running high performance output will swear by it. I've put it in every dodge I've owned (94, 97, 03, 06, 2014)
It's like $14/Gal vs $80 or whatever ridiculous amount the Stealerships sell it for.
You will notice a cleaner more distinct shift and the viscosity tests blow the Transmission Fluids away...
Just a thought.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
In my experience here in Michigan purchasing government owned vehicles. They used to require a vin check. Any police officer or michigan state trouper could do them. More recently i just had to sign a paper attesting to the accuracy pf the vin. They probably checked in their computer at the "secretary of state office" to see if it was stolen. You should call one of them to dounle check as it has been three years since i purchased one.
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRockinRV View Post
Okay - a Cummins 12valve Forum will do you LOADS OF GOOD.
That motor can be manipulated with little money and little problems. You can grind the fuel plate and gain HP - 3000RPM Gov Spring kit... Etc (just remember HP = Life) the more you use at the pedal... I'm just saying
I ground my fuel plate only and my Bus loves it - I don't Hot Rod - I just like having the option to "Go" if I need to get past a truck dropping rocks or so...
Also... Research a thing called KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) it's a metal pin behind all of your pullies that COULD give you a broken motor.
It's an easy fix and there's even jigs available to fix it - people will mail you - you just mail them back. It's a factory metal pin inside used to line things up for assembly but on rare disastrous occasion some fall loose and get into your internal gears cracking the block~
Then you're done - and dodge has never been responsible for ONE... Though it be a factory default.
Don't get scared - it's rare but possible like the bird flu~
Regarding Killer Dowel Pin...would the engines with this problem still be in 1999 model year buses? I read that it's only an issue through 1998.5 year engines...

Also in your second post you mentioned Hy-Guard AT fluid, is that something that Allison recommends, or is it just conventional knowledge?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
Skoolie

You know what - you are correct sir - '98.5 - it's been a while since I was a 12v forum guy - haha - my apologies

No I don't think any Manufacturer would ever suggest anything but their own. Hy-Gard is too affordable and better than what they offer In My Opinion - search what people are saying and make your own call - I have used it for years now and took my bus up and down the mountains (hills) of West Texas hammered down - with no issues
But definitely come to your own conclusion - it's your transmission and its a pretty important piece - Haha...