Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
The bus is now back at the dealers to see if they can find the problem. It has officially missed its maiden voyage and we are looking for hotels now.

Thanks, everyone. It was a good effort.
barbar0ssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Out of curiosity, has your mechanic tried turning up your injector pump?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

I am repeating what I heard, not implying that I know what I'm talking about.

So the current story from the dealer: The tachometer is broken. It maxes out at 2000 RPM but the engine is spinning faster. The top end speed problem is a combination between the "front brake slack adjusters" (Never heard of it) and the top end limit of 68mph. They adjusted the slack and drove 15 minutes out. It performed just as they expected it to on the way out but got more and more sluggish on the way back. Apparently there is a rachetting mechanism in the slack adjusters that is not holding. When you apply the brakes, they don't disengage all the way. So the bus was working pretty hard to overcome the fact that I was effectively constantly riding the brakes.

$300 will replace both slack adjusters and that should give me normal performance except for the top speed limit at 68mph. They can't reprogram the limit but have referred me to someone who might be able to.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Dragging brakes start a lot of fires on 18 wheelers. Nothing to take lightly.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbar0ssa View Post
I am repeating what I heard, not implying that I know what I'm talking about.

So the current story from the dealer: The tachometer is broken. It maxes out at 2000 RPM but the engine is spinning faster. The top end speed problem is a combination between the "front brake slack adjusters" (Never heard of it) and the top end limit of 68mph. They adjusted the slack and drove 15 minutes out. It performed just as they expected it to on the way out but got more and more sluggish on the way back. Apparently there is a rachetting mechanism in the slack adjusters that is not holding. When you apply the brakes, they don't disengage all the way. So the bus was working pretty hard to overcome the fact that I was effectively constantly riding the brakes.

$300 will replace both slack adjusters and that should give me normal performance except for the top speed limit at 68mph. They can't reprogram the limit but have referred me to someone who might be able to.
68 is pretty fast. I'd be happy with that, personally.
Are your adjusters manual or auto?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

I have no idea if they are manual or automatic. I am kindof assuming manual, but that is just a vague guess based on the type of words they used to describe them.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
They're likely automatics. Because manuals wouldn't adjust tighter going down the road.

What's it tach out to in neutral? That should tell you if the tach is broken. All the bad tachs that I've seen, they either worked or didn't. Never seen one that stopped at a certain rpm.

As far as reprogramming, you might be limited by gear also. So reprogramming isn't a sure bet. Plus 68 mph is pretty fast, and as long as your engine isn't redlined at that speed, perfectly fine for a bus.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Plus 68 mph is pretty fast, and as long as your engine isn't redlined at that speed, perfectly fine for a bus.
Agreed. If you're in a hurry, buy a jet. Skoolies aren't for drag racing, they're for enjoying the view.....
Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Dragging brakes start a lot of fires on 18 wheelers. Nothing to take lightly.
And a lot more fires on Entertainer coaches!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
They're likely automatics. Because manuals wouldn't adjust tighter going down the road.

What's it tach out to in neutral? That should tell you if the tach is broken. All the bad tachs that I've seen, they either worked or didn't. Never seen one that stopped at a certain rpm.

As far as reprogramming, you might be limited by gear also. So reprogramming isn't a sure bet. Plus 68 mph is pretty fast, and as long as your engine isn't redlined at that speed, perfectly fine for a bus.

not necessarily.. if his dashboard was ever replaced the taachometer may have been set up for a different sending unit or different number of pulses per second.. some clusters use dip switches to set this.. others its a computer programmable item.

68 MPH is fast for a school bus.. I sure dont like the feel of them at that speed... 65 tops for me..

there are "audio tachometers" apps you can download on your phone that try to pick up the rhythm in your engine.. you can download one of these and play with it while the bus is stopped and in neutral.. gives you an idea what your tach might be doing..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote