Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummings 6 cylinder diesel
Cummins 6 cylinder possibly overheating need help or advice.

So I'm driving from Florida to Philadelphia in my bluebird Cummins 6 cylinder with a hundred twenty five thousand miles on it. I'm driving about 55 and 65 miles an hour. Never going higher than that and my water temperature seems to be staying at 220. Since this is the second long distance trip I've taken with this bus I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this temperature is safe. When I get off the highway and put the bus into Idol it immediately drops down to about 180 200 degrees. Is it normal for a Cummins diesel School Bus? I was also thinking Petsense it immediately cools down when I get off the highway instead of slowly cooling down like an overheating engine I should be safe. But then again I've no diesel mechanic
Anthrobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is this an FE bus? a conventional? im assuming cummins 5.9? whats the outside temperatures and terrain? are you climbing hills? if its warm outside and you asre getting hot on the freeway ,id begin to suspect the fan clutch is not engaging as it should.. this esp true if when its colder outside the bus seems to run cooler.. .. and since it cools right down when idling or driving in town..

if the heat condition occurs when its cold outside even then i'd begin to suspect a partially stuck thermostat, clogged radiator, or somewhat low coolant..

in a rear engine bus the fan clutch is even more importanbt as you cant rely on natural air-flow across the radiator..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator, water temperature