Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Door alarm wiring

Hello I’m new to this sight but have a good background in mechanics I have an issue with a recently acquired 99 Thomas Built vin:4uz6cfaaxycg63516 so I’m needing to do some wire tracing on the main door switch that shuts off the buzzer it won’t stop buzzing and there’s no power to the switch making it inoperable I’m intending to bypass it anyway but I’m going to need to find it’s source first I don’t understand how it makes a selinoid to buzz like it does but I suppose it’s immaterial if I could find a diagram for this circuit it will likely save a lot of wire chasing as I don’t even know what fuse and or breaker powers it any one have any info ?

Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
You will have buzzing when the air pressure drops below a certain point. I'm assuming that you have air brakes. This buzzer is a federally mandated warning buzzer. If your air pressure falls below a certain point, it gives warning and enough time to pull over. If your bus has been sitting for a long period, your air pressure will be ZERO and the parking brakes won't release.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
You will have buzzing when the air pressure drops below a certain point. I'm assuming that you have air brakes. This buzzer is a federally mandated warning buzzer. If your air pressure falls below a certain point, it gives warning and enough time to pull over. If your bus has been sitting for a long period, your air pressure will be ZERO and the parking brakes won't release.
I’m not contradicting you as it sounds like a viable possibility that I’ll need to check however my pressure does build up and the brakes and parking brakes works great ! And I have not detected any leaking noises however as I’ve not made a note of what the pressure builds to I’ll look at that tomorrow, from a little research there seems to be a possibility that the stop sign wiring having been simply cut might add some issues as well however the thing that has me scratching my head is the lack of power to the side door switch at all🤔
Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You've checked your top hatch to make sure it's connected properly?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
Skoolie

I’ve checked the hatch but that doesn’t rule out a fault in the switch connection I’ll rule it out once locate the switch itself and see how it works so I can bypass it it’s certainly a possibility to rule out the only thing I can rule out for sure is the rear hatch which has its own buzzer and operates as it should ie buzz’s when open stops when shut
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

You might want to actually disconnect the hatch connections and reconnect them to make sure they're connecting correctly.

This may not be the case at all, but when someone has an issue with the interlock system it is often because someone else has entered and exited the bus through the top hatch, probably while you were asleep. The connection is quite difficult to reconnect from the outside. A few of us have been ripped off, which is why the hatch is often replaced with a smaller vent fan. Be careful about storing things in your bus until you are able to secure your hatch.

There can be similar issues with the interlock switches on some of the doors. If they become damaged they can send the wrong signal.

Hey, you're the first person with an interlock issue this week.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
Skoolie

Thank you for the advice I’ll be sure to see that they lock , I’m intending to bypass the interlock all together the interesting part is apparently a lot of times it prevents the engine from starting not the case here still can’t wrap my head around no power to the side door switch however and also you may find this interesting the selinoid that is doing the buzzing is the one that controls power to the lights and such and only affects those systems go figure
Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

That sounds like someone had messed with the wiring. If you're going to disconnect the interlock anyway you'll probably put things back where they should be. Sorry to say you'll know your electrical system pretty well by time you're done.

I'm terrible at electrical stuff. I've left my interlock intact, and a few times it's been a good reminder for me. I don't have kids anymore, but I've heard of accidents involving children because of a disabled interlock. There's no problem with disabling it.

Some of the more electrically minded individuals will help you when they find this thread.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:01 AM   #9
Skoolie

Thank you , getting to know my electric system will only be an asset in the future anyway and who knows it end up easier to leave it intact but I doubt it ,reminds of an ambulance I’ve got wiring mess that was had to do a lot of stripping to get back to useful wiring that wasn’t for the the lights and such just would be nice to have a diagram oh well probably be doing it the old fashioned way ull panels and cut tape till I figure out what goes to where always fun
Old 12-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
Skoolie

New update it was the roof hatch still don’t fully understand the system so I’m sure it will be an issue later but for now it’s fixed and the system is still in place now off to check a load of other stuff thanks folks

Tags
buzzer, door, wiring diagram