Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Re: ENG turn up HELP

do a search on the interweb for dodge diesel power or cummins forum or similar. i am a member on two of those type doge forums and not only do i know how to turn up the full fuel the smoke, boost and governor spring but i also know how to take apart and reseal my injection pump along with change my lift pump. saving THOUSANDS off what it would cost for a diesel mechanic.
seriously if you are going to do anything other than change oil and filters go check out these dodge power guys.
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Holy blast from the past, Batman.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

I used to have a 93 dodge and those guys at dieseltrucktruckresource.com are the go to guys for bombing an engine. 1st - you will want gauges, specifically an exhaust temp gauge at the turbo. If you want to go faster without regearing you will use more fuel. More fuel means higher temps. Higher temps are a turbo killer.

Leave the engine at spec or close to it and regear. My personal goal is to cruise at about 65 at a lower RPM, which means re gear.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
I used to have a 93 dodge and those guys at dieseltrucktruckresource.com are the go to guys for bombing an engine. 1st - you will want gauges, specifically an exhaust temp gauge at the turbo. If you want to go faster without regearing you will use more fuel. More fuel means higher temps. Higher temps are a turbo killer.

Leave the engine at spec or close to it and regear. My personal goal is to cruise at about 65 at a lower RPM, which means re gear.
in most cases, identical engines are put into buses with different hp specs, and many buses are governed to not travel over 55 mph. Turning up the rpm's to below redline, and letting the engine make the same hp that other identical engines make when they roll off the assembly line are both pretty safe things to do.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

more rpms = more fuel. You can "turn" these motors up all day long but it will cost you if you are geared for stop and go travel v. cruising. With some relatively minor modifications you can gain some significant horsepower but if you are geared wrong you will be better at pulling stumps rather than cruising down the highway at a decent rpm.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote