Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
ENG turn up HELP

HA I NEED SOME HELP ,,,I HAVE A 94 BIRD WITH A 5.9 TA CUNNIS WITH A 545 TRANS AND A 478 REAR WITH ONLY 35000 MILES ,SHE RUNS AT 58 TO 60 MPH AT 2500 RPM .I WOULD LIKE TO GET MORE SPEED FROM HER AND DO ABOUT 65 SO WHAT CAN I DO TO??? THE PEOPLE AT THE CUMMINS HER SAY SHE CAN'T BE TURN UP ,WHat I GOT IS ALL I'LL get FROM HER AND SOME PEOPLE SAY.. SHE CAN BE TURN UP. SO I NEED TO KNOW FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOW THERE sh*t about these eng and help me,ALSO SHE 1100,22.5 TIRES

HELP HELP HELP THANKS

keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: ENG turn up HELP

You should be able to turn the governor up to achieve about 3000 RPM which should get you in your desired speed range. I think 3000 RPM should still be OK for your engine, but turning up the maximum speed must be done at your own risk. There are tradeoffs in everything. If you're spinning the engine 20% faster than before, for example, you will likely use 20% more fuel on top of the added wear and tear. That said, many on this site have had some pretty good success playing with the governors. I'm sure Jason will be around soon enough to let you know what you need to do on a Cummins (can't be much different than my 6.6 though).
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

do you have a tach? I turned up phil's 5.9 and he can run a ridiculous 77 mph with 4.43 rear end. No clue about how many rpm's she's turning as the bus does not have a tach.

if your bus does 60 mph @ 2500 rpm....if we want to go 10% faster we can increase rpm's by 250

2750 rpm = 66 mph

3000 rpm = 72 mph

i'm not sure how fast that motor would spin, but i don't think i'd drive a sustained 3000 rpm's without researching what the top "safe" rpm is for the 5.9.

if you're turning up the rpm's, why not turn up the fuel at the same time?

there are 1 or 2 posts already on how to turn up a buses governor....i'll see if i can find the link. If you have bosch inline injector pump it's pretty easy...unless you have a flat front end bus, in which case it's pretty crappy trying to do even the simplest of tasks on the engine.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

YES I HAVE A TACH AND ITS A FLAT NOSE F.E. MODEL THANKS
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF GROV SHE HAS BUT I HAVE THE SPEC ON THE BUS SHE A MODEL TCFE 3408 BODY F 108706 IF THAT HELPS ANYONE ????? THANKS KEITH
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Bus Nut

open the engine doghouse and look down on the engine, the pump is at the left front of the engine, if it has fuel lines coming out of the top of the pump it is the inline pump, if the lines come out of the back of the pump it is a rotary pump, both are bosch units and very reliable.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Bus Geek

you may find this link helpful

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...ngine&start=15
Old 12-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #8

Coachwork: Crown

Cant you just have the fuel pressure turned up? My dad has a 93 dodge pickup with a 5.9 and had the fuel pressure turned up and got 50 more horses. I would imagine you could do the same and get those results, of course you'ld have to bump up the govener or disable it alltogether.
EIBbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBbus
Cant you just have the fuel pressure turned up? My dad has a 93 dodge pickup with a 5.9 and had the fuel pressure turned up and got 50 more horses. I would imagine you could do the same and get those results, of course you'ld have to bump up the govener or disable it alltogether.
The govenor and the amount of fuel injected into the engine are not really related, they are separate modifications.

You can "turn up" the fuel and increase your power while not affecting the rpm's at all.

alternatively, you can turn up your rpm's by 1,000 and not affect the hp....(except that hp is a measure of torque x rpm)

if you perform both mod's then you can have more power and faster engine speeds.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Road speed

Making more engine power has just a small part in traveling at a faster road speed. With a high number rear gear ratio the gearing is very low. If ya want more speed, ya must change the rear gears. Trans with overdrive will help, larger wheels and tires will help, but the rear axle ratio will make ya go faster. I changed a bus to a 3:73 rear axle. It took about 3 miles to get up to 80 MPH. I'm thinking about some 3:55 for my Crown, but the engine needs more muscle. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78

do a search on the interweb for dodge diesel power or cummins forum or similar. i am a member on two of those type doge forums and not only do i know how to turn up the full fuel the smoke, boost and governor spring but i also know how to take apart and reseal my injection pump along with change my lift pump. saving THOUSANDS off what it would cost for a diesel mechanic.
seriously if you are going to do anything other than change oil and filters go check out these dodge power guys.
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Holy blast from the past, Batman.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

I used to have a 93 dodge and those guys at dieseltrucktruckresource.com are the go to guys for bombing an engine. 1st - you will want gauges, specifically an exhaust temp gauge at the turbo. If you want to go faster without regearing you will use more fuel. More fuel means higher temps. Higher temps are a turbo killer.

Leave the engine at spec or close to it and regear. My personal goal is to cruise at about 65 at a lower RPM, which means re gear.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
I used to have a 93 dodge and those guys at dieseltrucktruckresource.com are the go to guys for bombing an engine. 1st - you will want gauges, specifically an exhaust temp gauge at the turbo. If you want to go faster without regearing you will use more fuel. More fuel means higher temps. Higher temps are a turbo killer.

Leave the engine at spec or close to it and regear. My personal goal is to cruise at about 65 at a lower RPM, which means re gear.
in most cases, identical engines are put into buses with different hp specs, and many buses are governed to not travel over 55 mph. Turning up the rpm's to below redline, and letting the engine make the same hp that other identical engines make when they roll off the assembly line are both pretty safe things to do.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

more rpms = more fuel. You can "turn" these motors up all day long but it will cost you if you are geared for stop and go travel v. cruising. With some relatively minor modifications you can gain some significant horsepower but if you are geared wrong you will be better at pulling stumps rather than cruising down the highway at a decent rpm.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote