Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You sure have a clean engine.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Hey Robin, check out this link. Out of the box as my wife says.
Gatherings | Cheap RV Living.com
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
That is the before pic

Here is the after
I'll pass that compliment to my Catholic Mom
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20171201_125334.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Any of these gatherings look like fun. I didn't realize there were so many gatherings.

You pulled your engine? You are industrious. Did your mom clean that for you, or you meant she was proud of you for cleaning it? Dam, I'm proud of you for cleaning it like that too.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Sorry for delay. My belt is moving on the fan pulley but fan not moving
Old 12-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
We do seem to have related buses. The main difference being my '97 is all mechanical. I'm also quite happy with this model of bus. Love, love, love these flat floors.

I was afraid someone was going to tell me the radiator had to come out to see the belts and fan clutch. Thanks for confirming that nightmare. I just completed a thorough coolant system flush and new coolant mix. At this point I think I'll just buy the belts and extra hoses to carry with me, since most things are in reasonable shape.

I agree that things are simple enough to remove the radiator, but you know every job has it's add on work and costs. If you ever have the radiator our it would also be good to check on the killer dowl pin these engines are so famous for, or maybe yours isn't included in that.

My fan doesn't start with a bang anymore. It seems to be quite normal now, simply firing up when the temp gets near 210. I'm guessing that in this buses flatland life it didn't use the fan. I so rudely drove it up the mountain in a make-it or break-it scenario so I could see if it would take it. That was just a few months after I bought it. It's still rare to hear the fan come on unless I'm in the mountains. Occasionally it will come on during freeway backups on a hot day.

You know the deal, we have to assume everything needs service when we get these things. I don't trust what I haven't been able to inspect personally. There are no belt noises or anything indicating thing are wrong. I just don't like to trust a vehicle that's new to me when I'm way out in the boonies. Getting a 20k lb vehicle out of the woods would likely require a log truck or something of similar size to get back to hardtop where the towtrucks would actually pick the bus up and take it wherever. I don't want to disassemble this thing while I'm out in the woods just for a fanbelt.

I've been looking at those coolant filters lately, ever since Chris started talking about his. I guess that's a cornbinder thing. It's easy to find the spin on coolant filters but I'm not finding the inline housing for the filters to screw onto.

There is a ton of constantly flowing information on this site, most of which is good to know but doesn't apply to my vehicle about 99% of the time. Thank you for chiming in with a very similar vehicle.

Are you actually in HI?
Somehow I thought Cummings went all electronic by the mid-90's. I looked into the killer dowl pin when I was looking at which bus to buy. According to:
12v Cummins Killer Dowel Pin (KDP) Information
this is a problem between the years 1989-1998.5
Since I have a 1999, I may have this problem. I forgot to worry about it. Thanks!

Those older TC's don't look like they have the access door to the radiator that my 1999 has. But i haven't looked at it completely yet. I was assuming that I could drop the radiator down to get it out, but maybe the front does need to come off like RivitBoy did to his 1991.

I would think you should try a junk-yard for the coolant filter housing. Get one off an International, maybe. It wouldn't bolt on your block, but it may hang from the return hose ? ? ? ? ? ? I think space considerations in the engine compartment will be the real problem, but maybe you could reroute the hoses to another location nearby.

Yea, breaking down in the boonies...

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/too...eek-20211.html

Really wish I had pictures of it at a 45° angle to the road direction, 2" deep in bubble-gum mud, in a bend in the road, on a 20° incline, road sloped 15° to the inside of the bend, front tire in the 2-foot-deep ditch against the mountain, 100+ foot droppoff behind the bus....

Locals said tow-trucks get stuck there....
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
Almost There

Just talked with a bluebird dealer. My fan clutch is part # 3927735 $835.00
He said the test to determine if it is clutch or sensor is with engine off if the blade spins freely it is the clutch mine spins. It is a cummins part. He did look up on my bus vin number.

Unless anybody has any good alternative I will have to pause my build for a while
Old 12-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Sorry for delay. My belt is moving on the fan pulley but fan not moving
thats not a bad thing if the engine is running cool.. the fan wont need to engage until the engine gets warm... are ypou over-temping?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat

This shows what I had to remove to R and R the rad. Hard to see is a small x member in front of the rad. at the bottom.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #30
Bus Geek

That is a pretty interesting story. Oddly enough I also owned a '84 Nissan king cab.

I've been wanting to get chains for my bus for some time now. I haven't been able to find any at junk yards. Most people just get one set of chains that they put on their outside rear duals. The problem with having chains is they give you a false sense of security which can often get you stuck in much worse situations than you would see without chains.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #31
Almost There

Update

Talked to my mechanic after talking to Bluebird. The fan clutch on my bus is the viscus style. So if must have been converted from electric in the past. We are going to test it to make sure it is functioning correctly. If I have to replace around $100 vs 1000.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Talked to my mechanic after talking to Bluebird. The fan clutch on my bus is the viscus style. So if must have been converted from electric in the past. We are going to test it to make sure it is functioning correctly. If I have to replace around $100 vs 1000.

you likely wont know till the weather is hot again... on my DRV bus the fan runs at minimum speed (fan should be spinning at 300-400 RPM all the time)... unless its hot out..

if its not spinning at all. not even slowly... then something is wrong...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Oh yea, Robin, Yes I am actually in Hawai'i now. My bus in in the SF Bay area. I want a shortie that I can ship back and forth with my tools in it.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:36 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Fan for $68

. I replaced my fan it was a bit chewed: $68.00 plus shipping.
Joe[/QUOTE]

I know times have changed but you think that fan might still be available?

Have any part numbers?
kulbuskid is offline   Reply With Quote