Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
have the engine... terrible drive!

Here is the story.....

I am putting a cummins 12 valve 5.9 in my 1954 ford bus. I have been looking for the engine for two months now. I was advised to get a dodge truck with the engine in it as a donor. That, I think was good advice. Dodge does not sell any of the wiring harnesses from that vintage of dodge truck 1994-1998. So stuff like the controller for the air intake heater, fuel heater, battery/starter harness, etc, you cannot buy new.

So I have learned that this kind of motor and truck with a running engine and driving truck is around $3000 at the bottom end of price range.

So I find a good donor truck, manual transmission, I need some parts for the driveshaft that only fit a manual transmission, maybe the pedal box- dont know about that, yet.

The air conditioning works... just about the only thing that does.Not really, but it seemed like it at the time I was driving the thing to the bus conversion shop.

So I, and two friends drive from Topeka to Omaha to get the "TURD". The batteries are three years old, wal mart, yuk. Brakes suck, like dangerous kind of suck. Wont stay running. Hence the name "TURD". This is a five speed manual transmission. Has boost gage, and egt gage. signs of 5th wheel plate in the bed. Rust, lots of rust. not a body panel on the whole truck that is made of metal that does not have rust.

We get to the "TURD" at about 11 am. test drive, tow back to owners house, work on deal about price. $2800 and I now own a good motor, bolted to just about shittiest truck I have ever driven.

Four hours later and I can now get the "TURD" to go 50 mph reliably. I change the master brake cylinder and don't really get any better braking.

It is now about 9 pm. I ask friend to plot course using back roads, don't really want to be rear ended on major highway. I do not want to go more than 45 mph, the trucks slows down faster downshifting, than it does using the brake pedal. Did I mention, the braking system is as rusted as the rest of the truck? Two of four bleed screws broke off. GRRRR.

I discover two things within about four miles of driving.

1) anytime the truck is less than 20 mph, the truck stops running. Have to restart every time I stop. Did I mention yet the on board alarm system that will not let me restart the truck. I have to find the "hidden button", press it and the turn the key to the start position at the same time, press the clutch, add half throttle, and shift very quickly to get the truck up to 30 mph to keep it running.

2) this throttle is on or off, throttle lag to the tune of five seconds. Not turbo lag, throttle. very touchy, I have never driven with an eggshell between my throttle foot and the throttle pedal before.

I have 200 miles of two lane highway to go.... it is already 9pm when I leave Omaha. Fasten your seat belt, this is gonna be fun!

There is one town I have to stop and make a left hand turn. Up hill. Remember the 20 mph it dies. I have to restart six times to get up that hill. Throttle down at start, shift before redline, shift again with out lifting off the throttle, shift to third with out lifting the throttle again. HA! forgot to mention the fuel shut off solenoid is zip tied to the run position, but truck still dies when you let off throttle. Injection pump has been dicked around with so much it is not functioning anywhere near correct. The throttle return spring looks like it came from a toy wind up car, zip tied at one end to a brake pipe.

Five hours. 200 mile. do the math average speed for 200 miles = 40 mph.
Well, good lesson in patience for driving a 1954 bus!

Followed by police three times through small towns.

Stopped by none.

Twice stopped to get out and walk a little.

covered in sunscreen spray, dirt, diesel fuel, and sweat. Talking about diesel fuel, That four hour period after paying for the truck was spent splicing in an electric fuel pump to feed the lift pump, because the truck would die every 1000 feet.

This truck should be killed. deserves to die. I will strip it of the parts needed and then send it to scrap metal. This is worst car/truck I have ever driven that is still able to be driven. I am lucky I did not crash this "TURD".

I get to my destination. Park the "TURD". Then I see a sign "employee parking" CRAP. Get back in the truck and repark it.

So, I have a pizza box with the message to the shop owner.

"This is the truck for the 'bus project'. This is a total "TURD". Transmission is good. Engine is good. Electrical system is good. Brakes suck. The brakes do not work, at all. Fuel injection\throttle control is jacked seven ways to sunday. Did I mention the brakes do not work? Good luck. Will"

magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
" I now own a good motor, bolted to just about shittiest truck I have ever driven."

Yep, that's a Dodge.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
" I now own a good motor, bolted to just about shittiest truck I have ever driven."

Yep, that's a Dodge.
Total Dodge!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I had a 95 dodge cummins, it was a great truck, you want crappy truck you should see my 96 gmc, only runs when it is not raining or wet
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
and thats why i leased my dodge truck... i get it while its brand new and still under warranty.. then it becomes a turd for someone else lolol

great story gonna be awesome to tell that one when you are sittin around a campfire beside your 1954 bus!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
My 96 is still going strong with 370,000+ miles, has been a great truck for me, except the manual trans. It is the NV4500, 5th gear repaired three times plus total trans rebuild, then 5th gear gave up for the 4th time 50,000 miles later. Found out the trans is only good for a gross combined weight of 15,000 lbs. No wonder I keep breaking it.

I did have a 89 with the old 3 speed 727 behind the Cummins. That did great never a problem from it or the engine. Truck was good to but rust finally got the best of it. Still wish I had it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
transmission

My intention was to use a fuller seven speed, but I have been talked out of that and am going to use a fresh rebuilt nv5600, with a twin plate clutch. If that craps out before 200,000 miles, this will get a medium duty truck transmission instead. I will not rebuild the nv5600.

I hope I do not regret getting talked out of the fuller/spicer transmission.

I went manual because of less moving parts and no electrics. I plan on mechanical oil pressure, water temp, exhaust gas temperature gauges.

If I lose electrics as long as I can roll it, I can start it. Or once it is running it can stay that way.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Fuller 7 speed would be nice. How much difference in cost? between it and the NV5600, total with all parts. Seems unless it is really a big difference might as well go for gold, and get what you really want. On my truck I have thought about either the Eaton 6 speed or Fuller 7 speed. However rust is starting and with mileage getting up there really do not want to put a lot of money in it.

The bus has an Allison 6 speed and two speed rear, so nicely set up there. Had even thought of taking the engine out of the truck and putting it in the bus. Kind of want to keep the truck going though.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote