Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #21
Bus Nut

We had quick start bottles with a T Handle and you were not to pull it for more than 3 seconds and you could hardly get it in and out without WAYY too much either. Clattered like hell and almost never would you let it start right off. BE very careful with that starting fluid.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

True Problem found $$$

Well, hope gave way to reality today. I endeavored at every nuance of this possible problem trying to avoid the real money but, after the Bus wouldn't start again and facing the prospect of using starter fluid regularly I bit the bullet and had a Mechanic I've used before come out and have a look. Two minutes in he cracked an injector as the bus was running (starter fluid in again) and immediately saw the pressure of fuel was way too low coming out. It was kind of streaming when it should of been spraying out the seam at extremely high pressure. Let that be a note to any one else going through this as unfamiliar as me. The high pressure fuel injector pump is kaput. Probably the fuel lift pump will be replaced too. 4 days and probably $2900. Almost half the price of the bus.

Real bummer. I'm going ahead with it as I've already invested so much time on the interior and the solar, etc. Also because the rest of the bus is in great shape . I can only hope that this being the most expensive part of that Cummins that she runs 100,000 more miles like a sewing machine. Also hoping for slight improvement in fuel economy considering the HP pump was being incredibly inadequate and sloppy.

A note on the starter fluid to any interested: On the Cummins 5.9 there aren't any glow plugs, just an air intake (grid) heater element. This is a concern because some have seen it cause an explosion with the incredibly volatile starter fluid. Pretty serious stuff.

My Secenario:

The ignition was on for about 15 sec letting the system checks go through and the Grid Heater turn off. I, leaving the air filter in, opened up the air filter canister and gave two .5-1 sec bursts about 6 inches out. Walked around quickly to the helm and cranked. Took about 10-15 sec for the little amount to cycle through and catch in a very gradual sequence. I feel fully confident in this little bit coming through the filter being safe and an incredible help. Wasn't violent nor did the engine rev up hardly at all. Even better if you have a comrade who can squirt as you crank. It allowed me to drive the rig easily to the shop saving another $500-600 in towing fees.

I almost decided to put it into storage until I bought land to park it on and buy a whole new Skoolie as investing half the cost of the entire bus itself seems silly but, I think with her new pumps and filters she will be unstoppable! I hope. So expensive. Really attached now.
acorncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Also this is my experience and comfort, you sure as hell use explosive spays at your own risk ha.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Injection Pump

Just coming into week two of living at the mechanic's yard in NM. New injection pump ordered, installed, incredibly expensive. Took it out for a night as a test run, wouldn't start in the morning. Had to use starter fluid again. Drove it back to shop. Replaced line from filter to injection pump, replaced bleeder valve on filter housing as it seemed to be leaking. Nothing. Removed new pump, bench tested, no good. Another new pump installed Tuesday hopefully. Really frustrating days although I've used it to build out the inside a lot in the yard. Wouldn't feel too down about it except it appears the pump I received is $1,000 less than what I was billed. Will be finding out tomorrow. Not going to be happy if that is the case.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Solved

Two pumps later and the solution came about through trial and error. I don't believe the pump was ever an issue. Cut a wire running from the ECM to the fuel pump that was hot, telling the pump to kill itself. I must have fried the computer a bit when I arced the batteries taking them out. A free fix arrived at after many many bucks spent. Fires right up. Oh well, it runs now. And I have a brand new High Pressure Pump and Lift Pump and Fuel Filter bleeder valve and hose from fuel filter to HP Pump and O rings on the Fuel Filter and 2 beautiful giant starter batteries and a lot of conversion work finished in the yard while investigating this whole deal. Call it a win. Also putting in a new Oil Pressure sensor tomorrow. Cheers, hope this helps someone in the future trouble shoot. Find that 12v hot wire going from the ECM to HP Pump and check to see if it has power, if so the ECM is telling the pump to shut down.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Hopefully final update, FIRE

Occam's Razor. Hard starting began after s few short days, this time the starter becoming more and more sluggish. Took off, took apart and cleaned and sanded contacts. Didn't fix the very slow chug a chug of the starter including flickering of lights. Massive new batteries a few weeks back and I had checked all connection at the bank and where it grounds to beams. New starter put in, still no success. Bus catches on fire as I hold starter down for 20 seconds. Luckily its dusk and I see the flames lapping and flickering just as it began and sprayed with a fire extinguisher. Very handy. Almost certain that without, considering the amount of grease and gunk, the whole bus would of likely been consumed. The culprit? the transmission shifter cable. Little odd right? So it basically fused he cable to the beam. This being as crazy as it sounds, I elected to once again, trace all the ground wires I could find. Two were disconected and hanging loosely under another bunch of air lines. Attached, started within half a second. These grounds were unattached at least since I put the first fuel pump in. So, so much time and effort waisted on a simple error. Well, now it really runs great and has new filters all around, new oil, new lift pump, new High Pressure pump, new batteries, and now a new starter and new transmission selector cable. You're welcome bus.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
You beat me to it, 2kool.
Back in my auto mechanic days, I saw a couple throttle linkages glowing red.
Yup, the starter circuit must be completed all the way back to the batteries, with the same capacity the whole way.

Edit to add:
Where did 2kool's post go? I swear I saw it. Yes, the cable was a victim, not the culprit.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
EDIT; Yes that post was here but as I tried to edit the thing went nuts.

The system was trying to find a ground and the cable was it!

Glad you got it going!
Old 11-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
glad you got it fixed up... I made a ton of money in the mid 90s buying up the 80s short-body cadillacs for CHEAP that the owners were told would cost 1000s to fix computer issues... beautiful cars for not much money.. I would fix the messed up grounds from the aluminum engine blocks to the frame / battery and within moments the check engine lights would go off and the cars ran beautiful....

ground lines are everything in a vehicle it seems..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Hey Acorn.... Thanks for this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Grounds can be a pain. Worked on alot of Chevy trucks that showed all kinds of problems trans not shifting ,starting out in 3rd,smoking 3 trans.. All because the main ground for most everything on the truck is on the drivers side rear frame rail right behing the rear tire. It get all the road salt a rain. So if your having all kinds of problem on a Chevy check this ground.I live on the outer banks of North Carolina so I allways start by cleaning every grounds I can find. Contack greace is a great thing!!!
COONDOG96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #32

I know this is a old post as per my name I was a Jet engine mechanic for 28 years, I was a electriction for 6 years working depot maint on kc135, 141 ACWACS when we were called out on troubleshooting calls prob 75% was grounds.
ifixjets96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorncracker View Post
Yeah, hopefully I didn't put any debris that high in the system. I was certain that the fuel filter would fix everything and didn't want to waste time going back to the gas station for fuel.

My thoughts on the starter exactly
On the farm we always used diesel from our truck filling tank. We wouldn't think of replacing a fuel filter and not filling it first. On JD's you had to use a pump to prime.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.9, 5.9l, cummins, not starting, won't start