Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 11:51 PM   #1
Skoolie

Help? Emissions device monitor

So I'm driving my bus back from Washington and my emissions device monitor is telling me to service now. It was on and off with service soon til it said now. So I stopped for the night but its -16 degrees so I left the engine running for heat. Can I drive with this thing as such? I don't care much about emissions at this point in time but I've got 1000 miles to go. I was thinking maybe it's cuz its so cold but if something that prevents toxic emissions is clogging up I don't wanna cause any further damage. Any help or advice is appreciated

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What kind of bus do you have and what sort of emissions devices are on it?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
It sounds vaguely like time for particulate filter regeneration as some of the newer Ford commercial trucks do. But without knowing what sort of bus you're working with, we can't guess whether that's the case.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #4
Skoolie

Bluebird 1997 Cummins 8.3 Allison md3060 from Seattle area
Old 01-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Hmmmm... surely that's a mechanically-controlled C engine. It's a few years too early to be an electronic ISC. Anyway, neither to my knowledge had any special emissions control equipment. Maybe yours has some aftermarket emissions equipment added..? Can you show us a picture of the emissions monitor thing, and maybe poke around by the engine looking for anything unusual?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Yeah, that's too old to have any sort of emissions devices from the factory. I'd guess that something was added on in order to make it emissions compliant on the west coast. I'd tell you take pictures, but I can't even tell you what to take pictures of, or where at.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Skoolie

If you Google search emissions device monitor Donaldson the 3rd result has a "quick" PDF file with basic info and a picture.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

It does sound likely that yours has an aftermarket particulate filter added to the exhaust. I've never owned or cared for one but did notice on a trip to Cummins Rocky Mountain a while back that they do DPF cleaning. There's a web page about their service; surely there are many other places that also do this.

For the short term perhaps you could locate the DPF and remove it..? That monitor would surely notice the missing filter, but whether it is installed in a way to impair/prevent bus operation when the filter is absent is anybody's guess. If there is a particulate filter in the exhaust and the monitor says it's time to service it's probably because the filter is getting too restrictive.

It's time to go poking around the engine. As I recall, my 8.3 has just the exhaust manifold, turbo, some pipe, and a muffler. Check whether yours has additional stuff in the exhaust path.