Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
High idle air throttle adjustment

This is a 6CTA with a P7100 pump and air throttle actuator of unknown mabufacturer.

I am trying to figure out where to adjust the high idle point on the air throttle control. When I turn on high idle, it doesn't change at all, and the throttle pedal is inactive. (It just idles)

When high idle is turned off everything works as expected.

If I turn on high idle, (and now the driver control is deactivated) and go back then manually push the throttle arm on the governor, it pulls the linkage a little bit on the air throttle and rpm tends to stay where I leave it, giving a high idle.

If I then go up front and turn off high idle, it drops back to normal like it should.

There appears to be a bolt and locknut on the end of the air throttle, does that adjust the air pressure for activating high idle? It seems to me like there's not enough air pressure from the high idle circuit. There's no leaks or anything.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Its a Williams air throttle. Look online for a manual. Make sure there is a spring on the pump, for it. It doesnt require a lot of air pressure to operate.

I wouldnt go making adjustments til you know there is everything is hooked up correctly. Spray a little lubricant on things as well and give it a go.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote