Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Hx35

Hey

Looking at a 98 Blue Bird and doing research portion. If Wiki is accurate they run a Cummins ISB 5.9? If so, does anyone know the changes vs the light truck version in the Dodge Ram?

The reason I ask is because the Turbo on those is pretty amazing, but it can have issues spooling up due to exhaust housing geometry. Some people make a hybrid setup using a HX35 compressor with the exhaust of an HX40(45?).

Also anyone running one of these Blue Bird's? Cant seem to find Tank capacity for a 40ft'er

JereHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy Jere --- I have an HX35w on my 4BT but can' talk intelligently to your question. I would suggest you check out the forum below. There are folks there who know the whole Cummins line inside out and can steer you in the right direction, They have been a huge help with my installation.

Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

4BT - Nice! Is that a UPS truck harvest?
Old 03-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger that. Or a taco truck find. All mechanical.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JereHD View Post
Hey

Looking at a 98 Blue Bird and doing research portion. If Wiki is accurate they run a Cummins ISB 5.9? If so, does anyone know the changes vs the light truck version in the Dodge Ram?

The reason I ask is because the Turbo on those is pretty amazing, but it can have issues spooling up due to exhaust housing geometry. Some people make a hybrid setup using a HX35 compressor with the exhaust of an HX40(45?).

Also anyone running one of these Blue Bird's? Cant seem to find Tank capacity for a 40ft'er
We had a few of those in the fleet. They had the hx35's also and didn't have a problem with them. I've never had nor heard of any problems with spool up. I've read about the hx35/40 combo but thought they were using the 40 compressor with the 35 turbine. They always did that for more airflow and higher hp, but with the 35 turbine they could keep the spool time down. I know on the dodge automatics they used the hy35 in order to get it to spool quicker for emissions but I don't think I've ever seen one used on a bus.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #6

You know what. You're right. It's not the hx35 that runs into issues. I was thinking of the older turbos on the early 90's 12 valve. There's a pretty sweet diesel shop in my area and I remember talking to the owner, he told me that they over sized the turbo instead of using a wastegate. That's what I was thinking.