Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Is this 8.3 mechanical or electronic?

I'm interested in a particular 1997 bus with an 8.3, and this is "by long distance". Around 1997... Cummins changed from mechanical to electronic engine clontrol. The engine model number should tell me, but it is not readable. But the CPL is, and it is 2103.

So the question is: Does the CPL tell us for certain whether it is mechanical or electronic?

How about the engine serial number?

I have been all over the interweb for a couple hours, without finding truly certain information.
I do have strong indication that it is mechanical -- a 6C8.3, and that's from Cummins Quick Serve Online. Pretty sure an electronic engine would have an E at the end of that designation.
Also, I see 2103 engines as new as 1998 for sale with the comment "mechanical".

How can I find out for sure?

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Well.... I can tell you that my model year 2000 8.3 is electronic. I entered its ESN on QuickServe and I'm told it is CPL2233, though "There is currently no information for this Critical Parts List (CPL) number!"

I don't know about an E suffix on the model number. I see mine referred to as ISC 250, ISC8.3, or ISC CM554. I think you're right that 6C8.3 is almost certainly mechanical.

Mine has the CAPS injection system on it. It also has the flat single-piece valve cover proudly emblazoned with "24 VALVE" on it. I don't think there was an electronic controlled version (prior to this one) that had a valve cover like that. Didn't the mechanical models all have the six separate valve covers?

Maybe you can get a picture of the engine or of the injection pump?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
According to Wikipedia, they went to the IS engine in 1998, and I believe the E suffix vanished for good with that. All engines became IS... -- ISB for the 5.9 / 6.7, ISC for the 8.3 and so on. The ISX is over 14 liters.

Which means there were only a couple years when they tacked the E on.

Oh... when I asked the seller about mech or elec, he replied "direct injection". I don't know if that means anything for my question.

Since Cummins Quick Serve calls it a 6C8.3, and not C8.3E or any such, I expect it is a mech.

Oh... and re-reading Wikipedia, I finally noticed that the late-1996 C8.3E was for urban buses exclusively.

So I'm gaining confidence in this prospect being mech.

(And I don't want to pester the seller to the point of annoyance.)

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote