Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Engine: Cummins NH220
Looking for Cummins NH220 Radiator

Hi All, I have a Crown 1972 bus (single rear axle, 5 speed manual) with a cummins NH220 in it. It's in good shape aside from the cooling system.

The radiator shows some corrosion and I'm looking for a replacement part, most probably a used one. Any pointer on the part specs and where to find it?

Thanks guys!

hanaiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanaiapa View Post
Hi All, I have a Crown 1972 bus (single rear axle, 5 speed manual) with a cummins NH220 in it. It's in good shape aside from the cooling system.

The radiator shows some corrosion and I'm looking for a replacement part, most probably a used one. Any pointer on the part specs and where to find it?

Thanks guys!
If you had filled in where your located we might find something for you within 4000 miles to you.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I live in SF and the bus is currently in LA.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I live in SF and the bus is currently in LA.
I've heard rumors of radiators for busses costing as much as $5000.00 , In Ca with EPA regs it's hard to find True Raditor shops anymore But, In Woodland, Ca there is a Shop called Star Raditor he does a lot of work for the commercial farmers on their equipment he has a tank big enough that he was able to boil out my 112 gal fuel tanks, I would call & talk with him, ALSO in Redwood City
On Industrial Ave ( If I remember right) There's a shop but I don't recall if his tanks where big enough for a radiator that size. Look there before thinking about replacing.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I ll call them tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

What about tires, does anyone know the best place to get fairly cheap tires around SF or LA? The cheapest quote I got was $400 without install!

Size is 11,000 R 20
Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
What about tires, does anyone know the best place to get fairly cheap tires around SF or LA? The cheapest quote I got was $400 without install!

Size is 11,000 R 20
I'll be taking my Bus to Quinlan's Tire Service in American Canyon,
Old 06-08-2017, 10:24 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I recently replaced my bus's entire cooling system and had Atlas Radiator in Santa Fe Springs CA make me a new core. If your bus is in SoCal that's an option for you. Atlas made me a 6-row core a few inches taller than the old, with more tubes per row, dimpled tubes, and much denser serpentine fin count, all copper and brass, for about $1800. I reused my tanks after I had them powder-coated, and along with a new custom-made fan and hydraulic fan motor, a new hydraulic/PS pump, a new transmission cooler with fan, a new hydraulic filter, and much much else, I think I've finally got my overheating problems under control.

There's a wholesale radiator manufacturer in San Bernardino CA called Thermal Solutions Manufacturing, and their website has a lot of useful info on cores, tanks, gaskets, etc. They have a catalog online that lists radiator sizes and specs for pretty much any truck or bus ever made in USA. I remember seeing some different sizes of radiator for mid-engine Crowns mentioned, maybe one for smaller Cummins and Detroits and one for Big Cam Cummins?

You may be lucky to find a matching used radiator from a Crown being scrapped, as long as it's not a CARB scrap job. However, it's a crapshoot if it's any better than what you have now, and for all the work involved I feel it's better to get a new core, then you won't have any problems for the next 20 years or more.

Finding 11.00R20" tires will be a challenge! Are they the same diameter and RPM as 12R22.5"? Maybe you can find usable take-offs and wheels from a school bus being scrapped, but they would have to be the same ply rating and load range as your present tires to be safe, and the same diameter to keep your speed the same as now.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach - Single Axle
Engine: Cummins NH-250, Fuller T-905M
Re: Tires

Quote:

Size is 11,000 R 20

Just got a quote today for 728 including tax for two front tires, mount, balance, and install.
J and O in Oakland. -A
upbeat is offline   Reply With Quote