Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I just bought a 01 Dodge 2500 with the 24 valve for my winter work truck.

Now I own 5 Cummins engines. Lol

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Cal, the bottom picture is in like a 72 Cutlass or something
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #43
Skoolie

Well I just bought the filters seems pretty straight forward just like changing 2 oil filters
Sunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #44
Skoolie

Hey so I am having trouble finding the larger filter on the bus
Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Follow the diesel lines under the bus that come off the tank. Shouldn't be too tricky. Have you replaced the other filter yet? Curious if that changes anything yet.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Not all buses have the big filter.

But like said, follow the lines to the tank to be sure.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 10-19-2015, 03:43 AM   #47
Bus Geek

How did you get the right p/n for filters with out seeing filters?

Also what engine do you have?don't remember seeing it
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
How did you get the right p/n for filters with out seeing filters?

Also what engine do you have?don't remember seeing it
I would also like to know what engine you have?

Nat

Old 10-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #49
Skoolie

Nat I have the 12 valve fully mechanical engine
Old 10-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #50
Skoolie

So after all that I finally get the right part and I have to take the water separator off the bottom of the filter and attach it to my new filter after emptying it it says right on the filter do not fill with gas it says just oil the seal and put it on what I'm thinking is then what where do i prime it or do I just simply turn the key and wait and let it fill itself but if I do that where is the all the air that's already in the filter going to go does it come out this little rubber stopppet thing that's on the bottom of the water fuel separator
Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Interesting it say no pre-fill on the filter. Is it a Baldwin? I noticed on Baldwin's web site they say "see OEM recommendations" regarding pre-filling or not.

We concluded the 12 valve engine doesn't have an electric pump, so nothing will happen if you turn on the key and wait. You'll have to prime manually with the lever nat_ster and others wrote about, or prime with external power with low-pressure air as bansil described, or prime with starter motor power by opening an injector line.

The fuel system recirculates: a pump draws fuel out of the tank, pushes it through the filter, then into the injection pump. But that's not the end of the line. Whatever fuel the injection pump doesn't use is returned to the fuel tank. Air purged from the filter follows the same path: either through the return line back to the tank, or through the injection pump to the cylinders.

You're almost there; just half an hour (or less?) left to go!
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #52
Skoolie

ok ok heres my plan

I just put 10 gallons of fuel in, when I hit e and fill her up she will usually only take aprox 45 gallons. It says on the fuel door my bus has a 60 gallon tank so I put enough lucas fuel treatment in for roughly 25 gallons. heading the wise words of bansil im going to drive somewhere im not worried about being towed for a while and attempt this there
Old 10-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #53
Skoolie

Well hell I was running a bottle of Lucas oil treatment through the tank before I changed my filters and now she won't start
Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Sorry.. weekend was so busy I had to neglect everything else. I wouldn't expect the Lucas to be related to the no-start problem; it ran fine with the Lucas before changing the filter?

If it won't start it's almost certainly because there's trapped air preventing the pumps from injecting diesel into the cylinders. My suggestion is to run the manual prime lever a while longer, test again whether it starts, and if not then proceed to bleed the air from the injector lines. Summarizing what's already written on that: loosen the nut and crank the engine. You should be able to see the change as bubbles decrease, wetness increases, and spray distance increases as the air is bled from each line.

Edit: odd coincidence... a rental customer showed up a few minutes ago with the towable air compressor with the Deutz engine I've mentioned here a few times. Said it wouldn't start this morning. After a couple minutes of troubleshooting I asked whether it might have been run out of fuel. He said it had gotten pretty low, but the tank wasn't dry when he re-fueled... so I grabbed a wrench and proceeded to bleed air from the injection system just in case. Sure enough, that was it. After just a few cranks with the #1 tube loosened it started stumbling and sputtering. I had to run the starter a few more times as I continued bleeding injectors #2 and #3, then another pass through them all just to be sure, but it was probably 5 minutes total from beginning the bleeding to engine purring like normal.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote