Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
Almost There

Yes my scan gauge had saved me a lot of time and money on my daily driver. So it's a no brainer to have one on the bus. And that's a great idea to hook two of them up I will do that. And like you said it's a great back up of the stock cluster goes out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Qya1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you definitely can daisy chain the scangauges as J1708is RS-485 based.. just dont try to clear codes or set a PID with both pf them installed.. as they both most likely try to become node ID 172 (which is a scan tool in the J1708/ J1587 world)

the scangauge wont display air pressure because its not a function on the data bus..

in fact on an International gauge cluster the brake pressure is a fully mechanical gauge..

on a DT466E / T-444E the 5 main gauges (temp, oil P, volts, RPM, Speed) are data-based gauges.. (no separate sensors).. they also log on the bus.. you can see them.. I think as Node ID 99 (id have to check my notes)..

trans temp and Amps are non-bus , but electronic sensor type gauges.. they use their own sensor.. a 0-5 volt signal return type sensor for trans temp and amps is a Shunt-to-gauge sender unit.

with an AT545 / MT643 the ECM has no control of the transmission.. all inputs to the trans are manual.. (cable or electronic modulator switch on the accel pedal)..

the gauges to most note are water temp (never never never go above 230!).. oil temp (230 is pushing it and 250 is danger danger!).. ICP requested and ICP actual.. you always want to make sure that the ICP is staying close to the requested value.. and at idle doesnt jump around crazy... IPR commanded percentage.. you want to see that duty cycle low at idle and never at 100% or can indicate issues with the sensor or possibly a leaking injector.. watching oil pressure on the scanner is good too.. if it hunts a lot it can indicate an IPR that is starting to go bad.

some nicieties you can read on a scanner are your digital speed, and your cruise control set speed digitally. you can also read your engine load factor and your fuel use rate, turbo boost PSI..

I use a NEXIQ device, and I have the API for it so im writing my own glass-cockpit software but the scangauge D is a quality piece of kit.. I have the scangauge II for OBD-2.. ive had that thing forever and it rocks..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #23
Almost There

Wow thank you for all the info. So the scan gauge 2 can it be hooked up to the bus? Or do I need a special hook up?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qya1991 View Post
Wow thank you for all the info. So the scan gauge 2 can it be hooked up to the bus? Or do I need a special hook up?

you need the scangauge-D for the J1708 on the bus
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #25
Almost There

Sorry dumb question lol. How much does the scan gauge D cost.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qya1991 View Post
Sorry dumb question lol. How much does the scan gauge D cost.

I got mine for around 80 bucks on either Ebay or Amazon...I cant remember which one. Sure is a nice thing to have!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #27
Almost There

That's cheap I will be ordering one soon thanks.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Engine: t444E
Rated Cap: 210HP 28,000 GVRW
Greetings Mr. @Cadillackid,

Which scanner has the most features and options if I wanted to convert the bus into a diesel-electric hybrid in the future? Would the Nexiq/Orion be best for that or would the scan gauge come in handy too?

I would like to remove the governor on the T444E (I think) and check for codes. It will crank but not run. or it will run but for less than 5 minutes and cut off.

Thanks for being a sage of knowledge.

P.S. is 4 years too long to re-open a post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you definitely can daisy chain the scangauges as J1708is RS-485 based.. just dont try to clear codes or set a PID with both pf them installed.. as they both most likely try to become node ID 172 (which is a scan tool in the J1708/ J1587 world)

the scangauge wont display air pressure because its not a function on the data bus..

in fact on an International gauge cluster the brake pressure is a fully mechanical gauge..

on a DT466E / T-444E the 5 main gauges (temp, oil P, volts, RPM, Speed) are data-based gauges.. (no separate sensors).. they also log on the bus.. you can see them.. I think as Node ID 99 (id have to check my notes)..

trans temp and Amps are non-bus , but electronic sensor type gauges.. they use their own sensor.. a 0-5 volt signal return type sensor for trans temp and amps is a Shunt-to-gauge sender unit.

with an AT545 / MT643 the ECM has no control of the transmission.. all inputs to the trans are manual.. (cable or electronic modulator switch on the accel pedal)..

the gauges to most note are water temp (never never never go above 230!).. oil temp (230 is pushing it and 250 is danger danger!).. ICP requested and ICP actual.. you always want to make sure that the ICP is staying close to the requested value.. and at idle doesnt jump around crazy... IPR commanded percentage.. you want to see that duty cycle low at idle and never at 100% or can indicate issues with the sensor or possibly a leaking injector.. watching oil pressure on the scanner is good too.. if it hunts a lot it can indicate an IPR that is starting to go bad.

some nicieties you can read on a scanner are your digital speed, and your cruise control set speed digitally. you can also read your engine load factor and your fuel use rate, turbo boost PSI..

I use a NEXIQ device, and I have the API for it so im writing my own glass-cockpit software but the scangauge D is a quality piece of kit.. I have the scangauge II for OBD-2.. ive had that thing forever and it rocks..
-Christopher
godisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
you can get a bfx products wireless scan that for about 20-30$ links directly to your phone if android.
doesnt allow changes but you know whats going on.
any auto parts store will have one on the shelf for 40$ plus but you cant test and tune until you get the correct one for your ECM,PCM,BCM latter is if equipped.
being able to see what is going on in the ECM,PCM is key to knowing your problems?
i have several vehicles with no computer and looking at another but have one OBD 1
and soon to be a mac tool OBD II scanner but it will only read trouble codes?
any OBD scanner will never tell you exactly what is wrong and will only put you in a direction.
example and not related to any motor discussed here?????
timing is off?
most mechanics say a 3000$ job to replace the timing belt when it is just dirty oil or why not pull and clean the cam/crank/position sensor? stopped up because of dirty oil.
not trying to sound rude and sorry if i do.
if you dont know how to mechanic on your own vechle then you need take it for maitenance and expect to pay a shop more than what you could have done it yourself.
of course getting the correct stuff to do safely is key and learning to do it yourself.
if you are uncomfortable with it then please post here.
we are here to help as asked.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
you can get a bfx products wireless scan that for about 20-30$ links directly to your phone if android.
Can I buy a vowel? A good tool...just missing an A. https://bafxpro.com/products/obdreader

I have one of these and a BlueFire. Between those, I'm pretty well covered.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote