Old 07-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
so the tech pulled the turbo tubes, and oil in both, so he is ordering a new one. He is convinced the oil is coming from the breather and won't listen to me, as it is coming from BOTH sides of the engine. I don't want to piss the guys off, but I do want to know how long the new turbo will last - another 150 MILES?
Old 07-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Sending you some luck man, because it sounds like you need it. What gasket did the other shop replace?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the amount of oil you showed on the ground isnt much.. not enough to lose 12 quarts in 150 miles.. many diesel trucls leak that much... my bus seeps a little at the rear main and leaves a few drops like that on the ground...

it sounds to me like your turbo is done if theres oil in both the exhaust and intake side unless there is a connection between the 2..

the breather tube.. what you dont see is how much oil is blown out when you are driving it at its hardest pumping a hill.. (though your bottle test showed not too much)..

is there anything at the breather tube that is a filter or possibly a baffle / restriction of some sort?

I had an old peugeot diesel years ago that lost a compression ring in one cylinder and when driving it hard it would pressureize the crankcase so much that it blew out the oil seals in the engine.. (pan gasket, front main) were the 2 that went.. I didnt know I had a bad ring at the time as the cylinder only misfired when the engine was cold.. I was a kid thought it was normal.. ran fine warm... get on the freeway blew oil everywhere... ..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Sending you some luck man, because it sounds like you need it. What gasket did the other shop replace?
Thanks man.
It was the front case gasket, pulled the whole front of bus and engine off.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #95
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the amount of oil you showed on the ground isnt much.. not enough to lose 12 quarts in 150 miles.. many diesel trucls leak that much... my bus seeps a little at the rear main and leaves a few drops like that on the ground...

Agreed that was only 2 minutes after I got there. There was 1/2 cup when I left this morning. Could be from the turbo but I doubt it

Quote:

is there anything at the breather tube that is a filter or possibly a baffle / restriction of some sort?

-Christopher
Not that I can see
Old 07-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
so the tech pulled the turbo tubes, and oil in both, so he is ordering a new one. He is convinced the oil is coming from the breather and won't listen to me, as it is coming from BOTH sides of the engine. I don't want to piss the guys off, but I do want to know how long the new turbo will last - another 150 MILES?

Oil in both turbo tubes is very telling. When mine popped (and this particular ISX Cummins had an appetite for turbos), oil was *ONLY* found on the "boost" side. Now if there's oil on the air-filter side, it could conceivably be from the failed turbo, but I'm not so sure. This guy could be right in that oil may be coming from the breather. I have no way of knowing his experience and knowledge. But here's the thing...

Many engines have breather tubes that would relieve internal crankcase pressure as relayed by Christopher and his Peugoet. In years past these were simply open to the ground, but emissions laws forced engine designers to eliminate this. So, many systems direct this back into the intake system, where these gases can be burned. With sufficient age and wear, some oil will enter this system and travel through the intake system and get burned as well. This would account for a small amount of oily residue in the system.

Just for those who may be curious as to why my ISX Cummins went through so many turbos ... according to my local guy, it had something to do with the EGR system and soot buildup with age and other technical things way above my pay grade ... in short, it was a bad design and in subsequent years of this engine, it had been reworked to correct this issue. An EGR bypass kit was available (legality is questionable) to work around the problem. The truck was later wrecked and scrapped.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #97
Bus Nut

Gonna see if my new mechanic will rip out any restrictions to the breather in addition to adding a turbo and re-fixing the leak. I think he told me Montana is not a big EPA state.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Fuel leak fix, and checking to verify the turbo in stock will fit, if not they can have one tomorrow, and maybe installing, then MAYBE I can be back on the road by Friday. Looks like I will be homeless once again for 2-3 days. Plan to take the bike back up to Custer Nat Forrest, and hang in between some trees, and ride some mountain passes till they fix me up.

Thanks for the tips, and wish me luck
Old 07-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #99
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Best of luck Dred...we're all rootin' for ya. A day or so of rustic scooter camping should help relieve the stress. Just watch out for the lions and tigers and bears...oh my.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #100
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Best of luck Dred...we're all rootin' for ya. A day or so of rustic scooter camping should help relieve the stress. Just watch out for the lions and tigers and bears...oh my.
scooter camping, or coke and hookers...............

Not much of a choice really