Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #261
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
Perhaps he will sign up and you can pester HIM?
Someone needs to ride your a$5. Been back 2 days now; got a replacement bus yet?

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #262
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Someone needs to ride your a$5. Been back 2 days now; got a replacement bus yet?

Not yet..........ass-rider
Old 12-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #263
Bus Nut

and from the buyer:
Quote:
I got it moved 8 gal. Of oil 20 miles. Ran great though. I hope to work on it later this week.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #264
Bus Geek

Quote:
and from the buyer:
Christ, it's getting better fuel mileage than oil mileage literally.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #265
Bus Nut

Quote:
Christ, it's getting better fuel mileage than oil mileage literally.

$100 worth of oil vs. $300 tow from his friend. I was quoted $1200 for a tow. Guess there are downsides to driving a bus?

I hope the guy gets her running and get 5x the mileage I did out of it.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #266
Bus Geek

Quote:

I hope the guy gets her running and get 5x the mileage I did out of it.
I know you just got back but, ...

All kidding aside, I literally had leaky eyeballs in reading you had to give her up. Saying you're getting a job just to start over hurt.

I saw that you have next to nothing invested in it and the life style is what you're after. You didn't sound terribly upset about working but still.

There isn't a single day at the cubical farm that I don't wish I was out on THE trail (Appalachian) or driving a bus around. Hoping to make it happen in '18. I damn sure wouldn't want to give it up. I don't think I could go back to a cubical farm.

So, ... any idea how long until you try it again?

Good luck and speedy recovery.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #267
Bus Nut

I am interested in this because i think i am developing a leak in the same area. From looking at a shop manual i see there is a stainless steel inlet line and a rubber hose return line and you have the gasket. The above thqat is the injection pump and i have no diagram as to how it mounts.
The stailess steel inlet line comes from high on the block. I think it is the inlet line.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #268
Bus Nut

Quote:
I know you just got back but, ...

I saw that you have next to nothing invested in it and the life style is what you're after. You didn't sound terribly upset about working but still.
I was certainly upset - terribly. I even sat down while loading the moving van and tried to cry, just to get it over with. But a minute or so after, I decided that I did not have time to cry. I don't cry very well. I know many people are having a hard time accepting this, but I have had quite a few weeks to come to terms with this situation, and, like you said it was made easier that I did not have a lot of TIME, or sweat invested (the bus still has a rubber floor) and I rarely chase bad money with good - it was a financial decision, rather than an emotional one.

As far as "work" goes, I named the blog "Three Years" after the projection of how long the cash would hold up. I did not expect to have as much fun living like a rock star, and touring breweries has a cost. So the plan has always included a return to the grind, hopefully it will not require cube-farming.

Time frame? I have enough dough to buy and remodel another rig right now, but would like to get another year of funds in the bank, so I am projecting a return to the road by late spring hopefully?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #269
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #270
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Dred --- we are all pulling for you and I am confident you will carry on with the dream. Just hope all the reality shite doesn't slow you down too much. And feel free to bring your next bus thru Houston. I got your parking space reserved.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #271
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am interested in this because i think i am developing a leak in the same area. From looking at a shop manual i see there is a stainless steel inlet line and a rubber hose return line and you have the gasket. The above thqat is the injection pump and i have no diagram as to how it mounts.
The stailess steel inlet line comes from high on the block. I think it is the inlet line.

Any help?

You can see how the inj pump mounts and a blocked off area for acc.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #272
Bus Crazy

I can fully understand your pain and commiserate with you on the decisions you had to make.

Last summer on the tail end of a 7100 epic journey across the country the oil cooler lines on our Suburban decided to fail. The less than 1-year old replacement hoses I had put on the August before. And of course, before I realized what was going on I had pumped all of the oil out of the engine out onto the ground.

Needless to say, the engine was beyond toasted. NAPA was balking at refunding the $$$ to replace the failed hose let alone the engine that failed because of the failed hose.

I was 1,100 miles away from home with my wife and 8-year old daughter, my 8,000 lbs. 34.5' travel trailer, and on a time crunch to get home.

My choices:
  • spend $3,500.00-$5,000.00 on a 1993 K2500 Suburban that would be worth at most $3,000.00 after putting in a new engine.
  • rent a U-Haul to tow the trailer home
  • scrap the Suburban and purchase a replacement to get us home.
I didn't have the time or the $$$ to do an engine swap.

A U-Haul would cost a minimum of $1,100.00 if a large enough truck with a 2 5/16" hitch ball could be found.

Local wrecking yards were quoting $50.00 for the dead Suburban even though it had a brand new A/C compressor, less than 2-month old starter and alternator, four Cooper 80,000 miles tires with less than 20,000 miles on them, 1-year old steering box, and 3-month old distributor.

I was finally able to find a dealer who happened to have a 1995 K1500 Suburban that would be adequate to get us home. The dealer was willing to give us $500.00 in trade with the final cost being just over $1,000.00 more than what renting a truck would have cost.

None of our choices were very good. But whatever we did we needed to do quickly as we did need to get home ASAP and it was costing us close to $50.00 per night to keep the trailer where it was.

Walking away from our old Suburban was a little bittersweet after putting as much into it as I had over the last couple of years. But at the end of the day, it was just a used vehicle we had purchased.

Good luck on your next bus and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #273
Bus Geek

Quote:
I was certainly upset - terribly. I even sat down while loading the moving van and tried to cry, just to get it over with. But a minute or so after, I decided that I did not have time to cry. I don't cry very well. I know many people are having a hard time accepting this, but I have had quite a few weeks to come to terms with this situation, and, like you said it was made easier that I did not have a lot of TIME, or sweat invested (the bus still has a rubber floor) and I rarely chase bad money with good - it was a financial decision, rather than an emotional one.
Crying can be done later. A "new" reman engine would have put a serious dent in the budget even at the costs I saw. I don't like it but I get it.

Quote:
As far as "work" goes, I named the blog "Three Years" after the projection of how long the cash would hold up. I did not expect to have as much fun living like a rock star, and touring breweries has a cost. So the plan has always included a return to the grind, hopefully it will not require cube-farming.
You're a stronger man than me. Once I'm out of Cubeville, I don't know that I could ever go back. Especially after a 6 month hike and a year + of RVing. First meeting I go to and they are arguing about where the fruit salad table* should go and I'll shank someone.

*Inside joke where the gf works. Every year the company hosts a picnic. They decided to move the fruit salad table from its usual spot. They ended up with buckets of left over fruit salad. Can't make an announcement or put a sign on it. Gotta get that fruit salad table moved back to its old location. God forbid if they ever end up at a different venue.

Quote:
Time frame? I have enough dough to buy and remodel another rig right now, but would like to get another year of funds in the bank, so I am projecting a return to the road by late spring hopefully?
Take your work with you; mobile gigolo. It could work. Rock star life style while getting paid for it.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #274
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post

Any help?

Yes thanks.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #275
Bus Geek

Quote:

Any help?

Doesn't help me without circles and arrows. Where is the tap__ whatever cover that the Dodge pickup was leaking from? Is that where Dred's leaked from as well?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #276
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Dredman- Glad to see you got a new bus and are moving forward. :beer:

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't help me without circles and arrows. Where is the tap__ whatever cover that the Dodge pickup was leaking from? Is that where Dred's leaked from as well?
Tappet Cover. Located behind the injection pump along the left side of the engine, long rectangular piece of stamped sheetmetal. Can be seen in the video posted above. When the gasket goes, causes massive oil leak on the left side of the engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ctd tappet.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	13213
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #277
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24 Valve
Rated Cap: 35
Take the cap off your oil fill tube while it is running and see how much it might be puffing. If you can set the cap on the fill tube without it bouncing all over the place, then your blowby is considered to be low and normal. If the cap bounces all over or falls off then you have excessive blowby and as mentioned above indicates rings, piston or valves seals / guides.

Here is a Youtube Video which shows normal Blowby:
https://youtu.be/rZxmLmURn7c

Here is a Youtube Video which shows excessive Blowby:
https://youtu.be/cMRpnek377M
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote