Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is this area so remote theres no hotels?
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
is this area so remote theres no hotels?
-Christopher
hehe, actually Billings is the largest city in Montana, which is not really saying much, but they do have hotels.

I don't like hotels, or campgrounds, I like nature. I like Custer Nat Park.

There are no hotels in the park :0
Old 07-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #103
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #104
Bus Nut

New turbo, new intercooler, fixed fuel leak.

Will it run, and not leak?

Much?

Can I get another 20,000 miles out of it?

Tune in tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #105
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
New turbo, new intercooler, fixed fuel leak.

Will it run, and not leak?

Much?

Can I get another 20,000 miles out of it?

Tune in tomorrow.
We're ALL pullin for ya, Dred!
Long may you run!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #106
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
20K Hell...yer lookin at another 200K!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #107
Bus Nut

Doh!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Really sorry to hear of your continued trouble. Too bad you can't stay in one place for a while and have a shop make things right for you.

I hate to mention this after you've spent so much blood, sweat, tears and money... A reman 5.9l short block can be had for as little $3500 for the 12-vavle and $4000 for the 24-vavle. Of course, there's the labor on top. What does a solid used block go for?
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #109
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Really sorry to hear of your continued trouble. Too bad you can't stay in one place for a while and have a shop make things right for you.

I hate to mention this after you've spent so much blood, sweat, tears and money... A reman 5.9l short block can be had for as little $3500 for the 12-vavle and $4000 for the 24-vavle. Of course, there's the labor on top. What does a solid used block go for?
Just b;ood and tears really, but this is what I am hoping for - any options.

I LOVE MY BUS - it is really hard for me to think of leaving her, and my adventures behind.

I have been quoted $10k for the engine, + labor, so I have not entertained it to this point.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #110
Bus Nut

Quote:
Just b;ood and tears really, but this is what I am hoping for - any options.

I LOVE MY BUS - it is really hard for me to think of leaving her, and my adventures behind.

I have been quoted $10k for the engine, + labor, so I have not entertained it to this point.
Was that for a new engine or reman? That seems high for a reman 5.9L. Though, you have an FE, right? Extra labor... I would shop around and get a couple of other quotes. How much for a rebuild? I realize the engine still has to be pulled. We're not talking about a 12L 2-cycle here.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #111
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
sorry to hear of your trouble.
bozeman, butte and missoula are my old stomping grounds, there is lots to do there.

seems like your trouble has been climbing hills (livingston and butte). the good news is that missoula is down hill from you.

there is a good rodeo this sunday, halfway to missoula at drummond. enjoy the trip what ever you do.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #112
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Hey Dred...is all the oil coming out of the crankcase vent hose? If so, the only thing I know of that will cause that is too much oil in the engine. Are you checking it with the bus as level as possible? I only mention this because I just read a lengthy RV thread about a couple who were "losing lots of oil" and made several trips to various mechanics only to eventually discover the engine had been over filled by about two gallons.

Whatever the cause...best of luck man. Try to hang in there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #113
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i dumped about 2 gals of oil my last trip within a few hundred miles, it ended up being the front main seal. as far as blow by, could it be the turbo leaking air into the oil line? does it matter how the oil lines are hooked up, is there an in and an out? maybe there mixed up? hope its a simple fix and you get under way
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #114
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think his turbo is new.. i also think that crankcase pressure plays a part.. the common theme ius it dumps lots of oil and then a shop cannot find it.. I keep going back to my peugeot that only blew oil all over when it was under heavy load...

even if its not blowing oil out the vent tube (which i think I remember seeing where a catch can was placed near the vent tube and only a small amount of oil was caught..).. it could be that on the hard pulls of this mountain area he is driving that the crankcase pressure is going up enough to blow oil from somewhere... the front seal and pan gaskets are a good bed when high crankcase pressure is present...

you also have the issue that on long hard pulls on an older engine that the oil temperature goes up quite high (even though the engine temp is normal).. which lowers the viscosity of the oil making it easier to find any openings it can.. again a shop takes the bus and drives it around town and says "all is good" because they never run it hard enough to raise the crankcase pressure with thinner hotter oil...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #115
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey Dred...is all the oil coming out of the crankcase vent hose? If so, the only thing I know of that will cause that is too much oil in the engine. Are you checking it with the bus as level as possible? I only mention this because I just read a lengthy RV thread about a couple who were "losing lots of oil" and made several trips to various mechanics only to eventually discover the engine had been over filled by about two gallons.

Whatever the cause...best of luck man. Try to hang in there.
The oil from blowby was ALL the oil collected since Billings, which, while a lot, was only a fraction of the oil lost.

I am starting to suspect front main seal, and I'm not sure why the mechanic did not simply pop one on while he was in there?

Never been overfilled, not even close.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #116
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think his turbo is new.. i also think that crankcase pressure plays a part.. the common theme ius it dumps lots of oil and then a shop cannot find it.. I keep going back to my peugeot that only blew oil all over when it was under heavy load...

even if its not blowing oil out the vent tube (which i think I remember seeing where a catch can was placed near the vent tube and only a small amount of oil was caught..).. it could be that on the hard pulls of this mountain area he is driving that the crankcase pressure is going up enough to blow oil from somewhere... the front seal and pan gaskets are a good bed when high crankcase pressure is present...

you also have the issue that on long hard pulls on an older engine that the oil temperature goes up quite high (even though the engine temp is normal).. which lowers the viscosity of the oil making it easier to find any openings it can.. again a shop takes the bus and drives it around town and says "all is good" because they never run it hard enough to raise the crankcase pressure with thinner hotter oil...

-Christopher
I like the crankcase pressure theory, and the hot engine theory. Running back up the hill yesterday only produced a small amount, less driving, less heat, less pressure.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #117
Bus Nut

Quote:
I like the crankcase pressure theory, and the hot engine theory. Running back up the hill yesterday only produced a small amount, less driving, less heat, less pressure.
So now I am CONVINCED the "oil leak" is caused by pressure. It is extremely variable - yesterday just outside of Butte, I put 1/2 gallon in (<40 miles), after seeing a typical - big puddle/little puddle

But here is the kicker.....
After driving another 80 miles to Missoula, smaller to no hills, almost no oil loss(less than a quart) and two small drops(much like I Left Billings AND Buffalo with after repair)

So I really want to explore the pressure option, as the variable leak is baffling me.

So, Christopher, how did you resolve your Peugot leak?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #118
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
If indeed crankcase pressure is the cause of the oil loss, the problem is likely to be the piston rings have worn, allowing the compressed air/burning/burned fuel to "blow by" the rings during the compression and ignition stroke of the piston. The only proper solution is to replace the rings ... an engine rebuild. At idle, the engine is under a light load, so the blow by is minimal. When cruising down a level road, the blow by is moderate, the crankcase vent might be able to "keep up". But when you're going up a hill at full throttle, the blow by is at its maximum, possibly overwhelming the crankcase vent and building up pressure.

Can't say what Christopher did with his Peugeot, but I'm willing to bet that would have been the necessary fix; whether it was done or not, only he can say.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #119
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i think high crankcase pressure could be caused by a couple of others things.

check the air compressor isnt back feeding into the block also the oil lines for the turbo are functioning correctly. makes sure your breather tube is open too.

good luck!
Old 07-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #120
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i think high crankcase pressure could be caused by a couple of others things.

check the air compressor isnt back feeding into the block also the oil lines for the turbo are functioning correctly. makes sure your breather tube is open too.

good luck!
how do I check the air compressor backfeed??

breather does breathe, but how do I know if that is ALL the time?
Can I bypass the breather into the air, or simply keep it from going BACK into the engine. I highly suspect that may be where the problem lies. Or maybe the compressor?