Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
Come to think of it, there was a screeching sound just before I came to a stop? I thought that was pistons seizing, sounded more like a loud belt.

Loud screeching ... not reassuring, but helpful in diagnosis. Naturally it could be a belt, but likely not the problem we are dealing with here. I do hope it wasn't the engine seizing up (and it probably wasn't, since you managed to limp along to a place to park), if you had oil pressure, then you'll probably be alright. My ISX has a screeching now, but is not using oil and drives fine; we suspect a blown exhaust manifold gasket (It's been doing this for months). Another likely cause is a dying turbo. Your bus is a "cabover" arrangement? With the engine cover lifted, you should be able to reach the turbo fairly easily.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Next, why can a turbo fail? Well, aside from the obvious age, there's disassembly/reassembly of the engine ... did something get into the oil system and work its way into the turbo bearings? There's no easy way to know after the fact. Was the boost system (basically everything between the turbo to the intake manifold) free of leaks? This can cause the turbo to spin extra fast to (try to) overcome the leaks, causing premature wear and failure. Some turbo setups have an external oil line which could get kinked ... and my big ISX Cummins has a coolant line as well (I don't think the 5.9's have this).

I'm not sure on the 5.9's, but on my ISX, there's a "wastegate" controller that somehow adjusts the turbo as I drive, optimizing the way it works and boosts. This can fail, causing power and smoke issues (a computer diagnostic should be able to catch it). There's a lot of computerized gadgets I have on an ISX that the 5.9's are not known to have.
Honestly I am clueless, my 1st diesel AND 1st turbo, so I have no clue. Good to know there MAY be hope in saving her. I almost walked away when I heard how much the GASKET would cost.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Honestly I am clueless, my 1st diesel AND 1st turbo, so I have no clue. Good to know there MAY be hope in saving her. I almost walked away when I heard how much the GASKET would cost.
i had my oil tested,it would tell you whats up with the motor, i think. have them send you a sample kit. good luck.
Blackstone Labs
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Dred...man...so sorry to hear about your tribulations. I'm still not clear on just what gasket the mechanic replaced. No way should a full pan of oil should go away that fast without being pumped somewhere or leaving a big pool on the ground.

There is a turbo return line that comes down off the turbo and goes back into the block. If kinked, the pressure can send the oil through the turbo and make a lot of smoke. If leaking, it can dump a lot of oil in a hurry, but you would most likely see it.

Best of luck, I just hope you can find a qualified tech out there in the boonies somewhere.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #85
Bus Nut

thanks for the replies, trying to line up a tech to look at it. Believe it or not there are a TON of diesel shops here, I even parked 100 yards away from one and did not know it, and there are three more within 2 miles?

I will work it out or someone gets a free bus
Old 07-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #86
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children
Hmm, the turbo oil return is a good possibility! It's about 7/8in so lots of oil can pass.... Good on ya Tango.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I am only aware of that line because I had to relocate mine to make room for other stuff. Instead of going into the block, I had to fab/weld a fitting into my oil pan. In the process of researching it I discovered that a lot of folks had had big issues if it was kinked or not flowing properly.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #88
Bus Nut

my novice guess from the order of events, is:

Rolling down the road, losing oil, to the point of losing pressure- <30 psi, the turbo seized (screeching sound), and I lost power, and am now blowing oil out the turbo?

Question is, once again - where the hell is the oil REALLY going, or coming from? As it looks like exactly the same pattern as before the repair.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #89
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Quote:
my novice guess from the order of events, is:

Rolling down the road, losing oil, to the point of losing pressure- <30 psi, the turbo seized (screeching sound), and I lost power, and am now blowing oil out the turbo?

Question is, once again - where the hell is the oil REALLY going, or coming from? As it looks like exactly the same pattern as before the repair.
I popped a turbo on an ISX Cummins out in the middle of nowhere and it (rather quickly) proceeded to dump several gallons of oil into the boost hose and intercooler.

After our mechanics replaced the failed turbo (they do some road service), he also had to remove the hose to drain all the oil from it (and refill the engine).

So the question becomes, do you see any oil leaking from the engine? Puddle of oil under the engine? If so, that is a good place to start tracking down where it's coming from. No puddle or sign of leak? There's not many other places it can go. The only possibilities I can think of are the cooling system (unlikely to hold that much oil anyway), into the intake system, or out the exhaust (either burned through the engine, or still liquid).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #90
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
So the question becomes, do you see any oil leaking from the engine? Puddle of oil under the engine? If so, that is a good place to start tracking down where it's coming from.
Oh it is certainly leaking from the engine, but the thread title reflects the difficulty finding the source. I thought finally these guys in Buffalo found it, fixed it, and could breathe again. Now, it is leaking from the same spots above.