Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 (24v)
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Oil Change 5.9L - '01 tc2000

I just bought a bus, want to do an oil change... Curious what the Cummins groups thinks. How much oil, type,brand... and what filter does the group recommend?

Any hints or tips as I get ready to crawl under there?

I want to also swap out the transmission fluid. Any extra thoughts on how much or brand? Bus, has the Allison 2000 Series transmission.

chad.nuesmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I use:
4g Supertech 15-40 for the engine, NAPA filters. Different trans.

Tips.. bring a large oil container.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I typically use 15W40 oil for diesels, whatever is on sale. Wal-Mart store brand usually. FYI, diesel oil was reformulated in the last 4-5 years (and new engines were designed to use it; something to do with EGR and DEF and soot filters, I forget all the specifics now), make sure to get "the old stuff" (still widely available). Most of what you'll find in the big box stores will be exactly what you need.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
For your vintage stay away from LE oils.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
For your vintage stay away from LE oils.
Yes, that. LE = (Low Emissions?)
Old 10-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use Rotella T 15-40 in my DT-360, and I'll be using it in my T-444E as well.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I'm getting ready to change mine for the first time, I'm going Amsoil 15-40 with Donaldson filters
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I'm getting ready to change mine for the first time, I'm going Amsoil 15-40 with Donaldson filters

Its actually cheaper to buy new engines than to run that expensive oil. Imagine you get 250K on the engine divide that by your oil changes and times it by the cost. Oil is like talking to people about religion for some reason. Best price on oil is chevron and it meets the military spec plus its in the walmart brand. Then at $2 a quart its worth changing as often as you like. My dt466 takes 30 quarts a in chassis overhaul is worth about $3000.00. I rather by a motor than oil.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
If you are spending money to get Amsoil, by far the best oil, you might as well go for one of these: Spinner II® Products : High-efficiency lube oil filtration for heavy-duty diesel engines.

I have a Dieselcraft OC-25 which is a similar thing, but Dieselcraft doesn't seem to like to sell them anymore? Not sure what is going on with them. Either way, the amount of soot it removes from diesel oil is impressive in my experience.

On the other hand, be warned that if you have 'tired seals' on a bus, Amsoil will clean every bit of nasty out of every crack on them. I had a /very/ worn engine that I thought I would use Amsoil on. Oh it cleaned everything up real nice... and then it burned oil like crazy from then on.

This should have been expected, but I wasn't thinking when I did it. Ah well. Amsoil is what I plan on using as well with regular oil tests and the centrifugal bypass oil filter taking care of the little particulates.

</ramble>
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
If you are spending money to get Amsoil, by far the best oil, you might as well go for one of these: Spinner II® Products : High-efficiency lube oil filtration for heavy-duty diesel engines.

I have a Dieselcraft OC-25 which is a similar thing, but Dieselcraft doesn't seem to like to sell them anymore? Not sure what is going on with them. Either way, the amount of soot it removes from diesel oil is impressive in my experience.

On the other hand, be warned that if you have 'tired seals' on a bus, Amsoil will clean every bit of nasty out of every crack on them. I had a /very/ worn engine that I thought I would use Amsoil on. Oh it cleaned everything up real nice... and then it burned oil like crazy from then on.

This should have been expected, but I wasn't thinking when I did it. Ah well. Amsoil is what I plan on using as well with regular oil tests and the centrifugal bypass oil filter taking care of the little particulates.

</ramble>
I'll have to look into that a little closer, I was planning on the Amsoil dual filter by pass kit.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post

</ramble>
A centrifugal filtering is by far the best any one will ever get. I've seen studies by Mercedes on European fleet trucks that use this and they have never had a oil change. they just install a booster additive pack of what ever is put in the oil to start with? I also saw a fleet I think it was CAT doing the same and they were dripping a small amount of oil all the time into the fuel system to add extra lube to the fuel system. This way they kept the additive package up on the oil by simply adding oil to the engine as it was used. I had one on a old motor cycle. just open it up wipe it out with a rag and close it up. Nothing was ever in that oil. I may just have to find one for my rig, i haven't thought about a spinner filter for years.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
oil

Rotella T 15-40, or Delo400. 3-4 Gallons I believe (depends on your oil pan). When I run Delo, I do not need to top it off as often, and it seems to drip slightly less; and this seems to be true in all the diesel vehicles I own.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
The Amsoil bypass filters are alright, but the centrifugal filters will get smaller particles. You can even buy liners to make emptying them much easier. You might can tell I'm a believer in them.

On the super tired engine that was needing new seals anyways, this is what I cleaned out of my filter after a 2,500 mile road trip:

That was solid soot, scraped out of my centrifuge. It had actually filled to capacity. This was after the first use of Amsoil cleaning out everything.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Ages ago when I worked on a farm, we had a Belarus tractor with a centrifugal oil filter on it. We never changed the oil, we only kept it topped off, and cleaned out the filter periodically. The oil always looked clean, and I can't even remember if oil changes were even recommended. Being a "Russian" designed tractor, we believed it was designed this way for minimal maintenance, and ease of maintenance in the field - literally.