Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Out of fuel

So, I have a 1992 Thomas MVP with the Cummins 5.9. While I have been working on it, I have been starting it every couple weeks and letting it run for a while. Last weekend, while running, it died and won't start. I think it is probably out of fuel. Have added 10 gallons but will not start. How do I go about bleeding the air from the fuel system?

Thanks.

Markzitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Take a look at:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ut-fuel-53767/
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Google it. Have to find the 10 mill(pretty sure this is the size) nut either on top of the fuel filter or where the fuel line enters the injection pump(it will be on the filter if it's mounted higher than the injection pump. Also, it looks like a small nut on top of a bigger one all in one).. crack it open and either turn the engine over or use the hand primer on the lift pump to flush all the air bubbles out of the line. When you are just getting fuel to that.point, close it. Next move to the injectors.. crack the first 3 in a row on the top where the line comes in from the pump. Now, with injector lines cracked open, turn the engine over until fuel is squirting out of them. Once you get here, close the injector lines back up and move to the back three. Be ready to shut the engine down as you do this because it may try and start with the injectors cracked open..don't let it. Once you get all the injectors primed your engine.should start. It might run rough for a moment as it pushes any remaining air out of the line. Some times I only have to prime half the injectors to get it to run. Hope this helps best of luck
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
When you say you start it and let it run, I hope you don't mean letting it sit and idle. These motors don't like sitting at idle, that's what the high idle option is for.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
When you say you start it and let it run, I hope you don't mean letting it sit and idle. These motors don't like sitting at idle, that's what the high idle option is for.
Dodge trucks don't have the high idle function. No engine likes to sit at idle for extended periods of time..i assume it's due to the wear caused by operating with low oil pressure and minimal fluid circulation..the Cummins is no different. Now what I would not recommend is to rev up a cold diesel engine.. especially I'm cool winter temps. Idling the engine is fine for reasonable amount of time..if you have the high idle function, use it.When it fires after a fuel system prime you may have to give it a little throttle to clear out the air as it likely won't want to idle or even run smoothly at first..this should clear up in a few seconds. I literally just performed this operation on my 1997 Dodge truck a few days ago after it lost prime after sitting for months unused.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
Dodge trucks don't have the high idle function. No engine likes to sit at idle for extended periods of time..i assume it's due to the wear caused by operating with low oil pressure and minimal fluid circulation..the Cummins is no different. Now what I would not recommend is to rev up a cold diesel engine.. especially I'm cool winter temps. Idling the engine is fine for reasonable amount of time..if you have the high idle function, use it.When it fires after a fuel system prime you may have to give it a little throttle to clear out the air as it likely won't want to idle or even run smoothly at first..this should clear up in a few seconds. I literally just performed this operation on my 1997 Dodge truck a few days ago.it lost pre after sitting for months unused.
My last Dodge had a sticker on the visor that gave directions to hold the engine rpm above idle (1500rpm??) for two minutes if the outside temperature was below freezing.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My last Dodge had a sticker on the visor that gave directions to hold the engine rpm above idle (1500rpm??) for two minutes if the outside temperature was below freezing.
Mine is a bit worn but basically says to" allow engine speeds to reach 1,000rpm before returning to the idle position-allow engine to idle for at least 30 seconds(longer in sub zero conditions)"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191119_124632453.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Where is the hand primer located?
Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
Skoolie

If it has one it would be on the lift/fuel supply pump in the form of a lever or a rubber capped button..on other diesels it looks like a plunger that you unscrew and pump like a bike pump.. I'm not exactly sure what they are using in bus applications. You could just bump the engine too but be prepared to shut it off if it starts to fire when yr not ready.have a pan handy to catch the diesel.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everyone for your help. Got it running yesterday.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzitz View Post
Thanks everyone for your help. Got it running yesterday.
Congrats on getting it running again. Did you use the hand primer?
Old 11-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. Used the primer pump. Cracked open the injectors and cranked it over untill we got dial at all six. Tightened everything up and it started. Ran well. Took it to the closest fuel pumps and filled her up.