Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Skoolie

Over pressured cooling system

So my 97 bluebird 12 v mechanical cummins 5.9 has blown her heater hoses and blew out the sight glass on the over flow. Now its working on the seals of the heater pump. Any advice?

Sunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds to me possibly two problems. Your radiator cap should release at something like 7psi. That is much lower than what would be required to blow those items out. The reason for the excessive pressure could be blown head gasket. Pull the cap off with a cold engine and start up the engine. If it looks like hot tub keys in the radiator then you have exhaust entering your coolant system. I would replace your radiator cap regardless, it's defective
Eric
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I hope you got that bus really cheap. That over pressure in your cooling system could indicate your head gasket is bad and pressure is going into your cooling system causing blowouts. I'm curious to know if that has overheated at some time previous to your heater hose blowout?

The list of mechanical issues on your bus will cost you more than another bus from the auction system. I don't know how invested you are in your bus, but with the number of issues you've been talking about it sounds like it would be cheaper to get a donor engine from another bus or just switch buses.

My fantasy would be to get a TC2000 and put that engine, tranny and radiator into my TC1000. My 5.9 is to weak for the towing I'd like to be doing.

You seem to have a rig that has a lot of problems. You'd have to get some really good deals on mechanical work to get the kinks worked out and that's not likely to happen I'm sorry to say. Then again I could be totally wrong.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Like some have said before, worst case is a blown head gasket. If there isn't Any air churning in your coolant system then you might just have a plugged radiator.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Skoolie

But wait if its a head gasket

Wouldnt i have water in my oil or wouldnt it be running warm. I cant look into the radiator because the cap is on the overflow the radiator is sealed on the side of the bus
Sunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbear View Post
Wouldnt i have water in my oil or wouldnt it be running warm. I cant look into the radiator because the cap is on the overflow the radiator is sealed on the side of the bus
If your system is full you Will see bubbles in the overflow tank too
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
With head gaskets sometimes there's bubbles in the radiator, sometimes there's oil in the radiator water and other times the coolant goes into the oil system. I don't think any of us can diagnose your engine for certain without being there. You might try going to a couple shops and just talking to them about the problems.
Often a head gasket goes slowly enough that you have a fair amount of warning, like what's happening to you now. I believe the rest of us are just guessing based on what you've told us. It's not certain. It sure is an adventure though, isn't it?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Just went through this on one of my gas engines. The compression was apparently blowing into the water jacket.