Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Skoolie

Sunbear here 1997 5.9 Cummins 12 v mechanical

Hello beloved saviors I have some questions/issues with my bus kali ma.
So I pulled the dipstick and there was water and oil up the dipstick but not in the oil itself. So we thought maybe the oil cooler was leaking or broken pulled it tested it and changed the gasket that looked like hell. Drove a cpl hundred miles and bam same thing. So we did the head gasket with the rebuild kit we had the valve seal top hat things re machined but the head itself looked fine so it was not resurfaced. Everything went smooth for a cpl 3 hundred miles when I noticed my oil pressure was all the way up at 100 then she blew out a big ole pile of scum that looked like gasoline out of the blow tube. Now I have milky slime on the dipstick again and not in the oil on the dipstick. She loves to go 70 on the Fwy and never runs hot although she is kinda slow on hills like 25 up the passes on i-5 in southern oregon. So it's likely the head needed to be resurfaced right? My mechanic wants to next rebuild the compressor before pulling the head and having it resurfaced . What do y'all think?

Sunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Well, I am assuming the head was redone by a competent machine shop. I would further assume that if they thought the head needed machining, they would have recommended it. I would think they would actually check it for flatness while it's in the shop. So I find it hard to believe it's anything due to the head itself.

The dropping down to 25 or so on steep hills, I would expect that out of a 5.9 moving a 9-ton bus up a steep grade.

Since I have not done a formal diagnostic on the bus, it's kind of hard for me to say, but *something* is making the oil pressure run high (water/antifreeze in the oil would probably do the opposite). It could be a gummed-up sensor. But blowing something out of the tube ... it could be the air compressor could use a rebuild. How well does it build up and maintain air pressure? Any residue in the tanks? Specifically, any oily or sludge-y residue? (A little water is normal in the primary air tank, as long as it's reasonably clean).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote